Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-10 11:28:29

csh

[Solved] notification area - strange behaviour for some apps

Running xubuntu 12.04 and xfce 4.10 (from 4.10 and 4.12. repositories, last changes to 4.11 not installed).
Some versions:

xfce4-panel --version
xfce4-panel 4.10.1 (Xfce 4.10)

xfdesktop-settings --version
xfdesktop-settings 4.10.2 (Xfce 4.10)

Problem:
Some apps (like clipgrab) don't show icons in notification area.
Others show but left/right click does not work as before.
Example: qbittorrent 3.011, normal behaviour: left click shows/hides the program, right click shows the aplication menu (show, speeds, add, exit,...), on mouse over there is a tooltip with upload/download speeds.
Current behaviour: left click shows app menu, right click shows just move/remove/panel menu. Tooltip not working anymore.

I have 3 users on the computer, 2 of them suffer from the same problem, the third user is created later and notification area works fine. It all started a while ago, tried rolling back some updates but no luck finding the problem. I guess it is some config problem.
Tried removing notification area and adding it again with no change.

Any ideas what could cause the problems?
I could reset all xfce settings but would like to avoid that if possible.

#2 2013-11-10 13:59:50

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] notification area - strange behaviour for some apps

Example: qbittorrent 3.011, normal behaviour: left click shows/hides the program, right click shows the aplication menu (show, speeds, add, exit,...), on mouse over there is a tooltip with upload/download speeds.
Current behaviour: left click shows app menu, right click shows just move/remove/panel menu. Tooltip not working anymore.

Is it possible that another panel is overlayed on the one containing the notification and reacting to the mouse clicks? On right-click that shows the move/remove/panel menu, what is the header (greyed out text) on the popup menu say?

Some apps (like clipgrab) don't show icons in notification area.

Does the clipgrab icon show on the 3rd users desktop, the one who isn't having the problems above? Do you have the indicator plugin enabled as well?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-11-10 19:10:54

csh

Is it possible that another panel is overlayed on the one containing the notification and reacting to the mouse clicks? On right-click that shows the move/remove/panel menu, what is the header (greyed out text) on the popup menu say?

No, there is not another panel.
Header of the qb is showing indicator panel, I should have noticed it :-)

Does the clipgrab icon show on the 3rd users desktop, the one who isn't having the problems above? Do you have the indicator plugin enabled as well?

Third user dosn't have the indicator plugin enabled and clipgrab icon is showing in the notification area.
First two users have the indicator plugin enabled, removing it fixed both issues: clipgrab icon is now there and qbittorrent menus work as before.

Thank you, problem solved :-)

But a few questions remain:
- why does indicator plugin steal both icons, clipgrab not showing anywhere, and qb icon as standalone next to the "envelope" icon of the indicator plugin?
I think all indicator compatible apps shoud put their icons inside it.
Is it a feature or a problem and where - indicator plugin or the apps?
If it's something with these two apps we can report to the developers.

#4 2013-11-11 01:44:15

ToZ
Administrator

why does indicator plugin steal both icons, clipgrab not showing anywhere, and qb icon as standalone next to the "envelope" icon of the indicator plugin?

I'm not sure why. I don't have either application installed so I am unable to have a closer look.

I think all indicator compatible apps shoud put their icons inside it.
Is it a feature or a problem and where - indicator plugin or the apps?
If it's something with these two apps we can report to the developers.

Perhaps you could create a bug report against the the indicator plugin. In fact, this one looks related. I know qbittorrent is a qt app, not sure about the other one.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2013-11-11 05:14:12

csh

Perhaps you could create a bug report against the the indicator plugin. In fact, this one looks related. I know qbittorrent is a qt app, not sure about the other one.

Also Qt.
Will look into the bug report, description fits.

Board footer