Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-27 23:17:15

johnfee

[Solved] desktop background picture converts to grey scale

In Ubuntu 12.04 (xfce) I have changed the background picture and played with the brightness... sliders.
Suddenly the background picture changed to grayscale...
Some days ago I upgraded online to Ubuntu 13.04 and it is still the same. When I load a new background picture (even the default ones) it is in gray again. But all the icons are colored. Just the background picture is gray. And in the login screen the background picture also appears, but in color mode.
So it seems like a setting was done somewhere which cannot be changed through the application menu. But I don't know where this setting can be fixed...

In Gnome... everything works well and the picture appears colored - but I like to stay with XFCE and it looks so gray ;-)

Thanks for your support!

Last edited by johnfee (2013-11-27 23:19:34)

#2 2013-11-28 02:04:28

MountainDewManiac

Re: [Solved] desktop background picture converts to grey scale

This is just a guess and might not help, but...

You might try adding the XFCE 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs (have to add the 4.10 first, then you can use the 4.12, if I understand correctly) to your sources list. Seems like there was an issue (or two) with desktop backgrounds that they were nice enough to fix for us, but it may not have trickled down to the main Ubuntu repos yet.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2013-11-28 02:36:13

ToZ
Administrator

johnfee wrote:

In Ubuntu 12.04 (xfce) I have changed the background picture and played with the brightness... sliders.
Suddenly the background picture changed to grayscale...
Some days ago I upgraded online to Ubuntu 13.04 and it is still the same. When I load a new background picture (even the default ones) it is in gray again. But all the icons are colored. Just the background picture is gray. And in the login screen the background picture also appears, but in color mode.
So it seems like a setting was done somewhere which cannot be changed through the application menu. But I don't know where this setting can be fixed...

In Gnome... everything works well and the picture appears colored - but I like to stay with XFCE and it looks so gray ;-)

Thanks for your support!

Have a look at the Saturation setting in Settings Manager -> Desktop -> Background tab. If set to 0, it displays background images in greyscale. The default value is 1.0.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2013-11-29 23:26:27

johnfee

Thanks so much! This is the solution! big_smile

... when I moved the sliders I was focused on the middle slider position. And this is unfortunately not the "default".
So now I moved the slider just a little to the right and everything works well

---> in XFCE desktop settings manager, the default value for Saturation is not in the middle position of the slider, it is 1.0 <---

Board footer