Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-12 18:46:48

MountainDewManiac

Nice (Undocumented?) Volume Applet Feature!

This might be documented somewhere, but I only just accidentally learned about it. If I place my mouse cursor on the little speaker icon on my panel, I can increase the volume by "scrolling up" with my mousepad, and decrease it by "scrolling down."

Nice. To whoever added this feature, thanks for giving me another way to do something that I do several times each day. And for causing me to smile when I discovered it.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2013-12-13 00:36:30

John_Jason_Jordan

Re: Nice (Undocumented?) Volume Applet Feature!

MountainDewManiac wrote:

This might be documented somewhere, but I only just accidentally learned about it. If I place my mouse cursor on the little speaker icon on my panel, I can increase the volume by "scrolling up" with my mousepad, and decrease it by "scrolling down."MDM

I don't have a volume buttonin my panel so I can't experience the same thing. But I discovered some time ago that the scroll wheel does the same thing in VLC. I'm really glad because the volume control in VLC is a pain. Sadly I don't get the same action in Banshee, which I use to stream internet radio stations.

Edit: I just discovered that it does work in Banshee.

Last edited by John_Jason_Jordan (2013-12-15 20:04:06)

Linguistics on Linux!

#3 2013-12-13 08:13:44

MountainDewManiac

IIRC, my repo has some Banshee add-ons. Maybe there is one in yours that provides that, either by itself or as a set that includes it.

I feel somewhat slow for not figuring this feature out with my volume control applet; I already knew that with XFCE's window manager's compositing enabled, I could place my mouse cursor on an app's title bar and adjust that window's opacity with by scrolling. (And about changing VLC's volume, lol.)

Sign of getting old, I guess. Cognitive ability, etc. starts dropping after age 40 or so.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2013-12-14 21:03:01

esp7

thanks for sharing smile

#5 2013-12-15 15:44:59

PaperNick

It's really useful indeed!

I can add a few more things:

Scrolling also works on Window Buttons and Keyboard Layouts (xkb-plugin). It is really convenient, especially for Window Buttons. You can easily navigate through opened windows without having to use ALT+TAB for example.

Board footer