Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-29 19:31:20

wftomlin

Thunar as root

I've added a launcher to open Thunar as root (gksu thunar %f). It works, but opens the file system without prompting me for a password.

How do I get around this?

Thanks

*EDIT*

There seems to be some sort of cache that remembers your password. I stepped away for an hour or so and when I fired up the launcher, it DID ask for a password. When closing and re-opening, it went straight to the files without asking for a password.

Last edited by wftomlin (2013-12-29 20:28:17)

#2 2013-12-29 20:49:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar as root

Yes, sudo can cache passwords for a set period of time.

sudo -ll

...to view your current settings (look for the timestamp_timeout value, in minutes, as password cache timeout).

To edit this value,

sudo visudo

...and change that value as you wish. If you want to always be asked for a password, set the value to 0.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-12-30 00:58:44

Sideburns
Website

The OP is using gksu, not sudo.  I use Fedora, which uses beesu, and I don't think it caches your password as sudo does.  (I know it doesn't use sudo, because I removed it from my system long ago because I never use it.)

I might suggest, wftomlin, that you check any man pages for gksu and see if there's a way to configure it not to store your password.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#4 2013-12-30 01:25:35

ToZ
Administrator

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2013-12-30 01:37:10

Sideburns
Website

And beesu is a graphical wrapper for "su" but doesn't need sudo installed.  As I wrote above, there's probably a config file and if gksu does cache your password, the timeout period should be configurable, even if you can't disable caching completely.  (I'd bet that setting the timeout to 0 would have that effect.)  The config file for beesu is /etc/beesu.conf, and you'll probably want to see if /etc/gksu/conf exists because if it does, it's almost certain to be the right place.

#6 2013-12-30 01:50:21

ToZ
Administrator

Since gksu is a front-end for sudo, the config file for sudo is /etc/sudoers which should be edited via:

sudo visudo

...and the cache timeout configuration keyword is "timestamp_timeout". If set to 0, it disables the caching (as noted in my post #2).

I think we're arguing the same thing.

#7 2013-12-30 02:01:28

Sideburns
Website

Yes and no.  We're both telling the OP that the timeout is configurable, but we're both pointing to different files.  As you have gksu installed and I don't, your advice is more accurate than mine.

#8 2013-12-30 21:45:08

wftomlin

Thanks guys. I recently switced from Ubuntu to Mint Linux to Xubuntu. I'm not familiar with xfce, but learning. I appreciate your help!

#9 2014-01-02 01:21:07

MountainDewManiac

How does Xubuntu compare to Mint XFCE, in your opinion? Or were you using one of the other desktop environments when you were running Mint?

The only thing that I can remember reading was that Mint XFCE used less RAM than Xubuntu (and that might have been incorrect, for all I know).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer