Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-17 03:45:42

mccfrank

[Solved] XFCE 4.1 - Caja trying to take over

I am running xfce 4.1 and Mate on a Fedora 19 installation - today, Caja, the mate
file manager started running in XFCE as well as Thunar and XFdesktop.
Each login, I get the old xfce desktop, then a quick switch to the Mate
version.
caja is not ticked in startup session and gnome services also is not
ticked.
Killing caja just means it restarts immediately.
I have tried cleaning the .cache directory with no results.
Can anyone help ?

It's what you learn after you know it all that makes the difference.

#2 2013-11-18 00:37:29

ozjd
Website

Re: [Solved] XFCE 4.1 - Caja trying to take over

Is there an option in Mate for Caja to control the desktop or something similar? If so try turning that off.
How are you starting Xfce, from the login screen menu?

If that doesn't work try asking in the Fedora forums as I know there are a few people there running Mate.

BTW it is Xfce 4.10 (as in ten).

#3 2013-11-18 02:31:38

mccfrank

Yes there is an option for caja to control the desktop - I'll give that a shot, but I
have since discovered through Google that other people report the same and
similar problems. I start xfce from the lightdm logon screen -  I'll also check
the Fedora forums but I thought I should start here.
Yes I know it's 4.10

#4 2013-11-18 02:50:33

ozjd
Website

What do you have set in Settings - Preferred Applications - Utilities? Although even if it was Caja it wouldn't explain why it is just starting.

#5 2013-11-18 03:14:17

mccfrank

No , no caja anywhere in preferred apps. It's really weird as xfce ran fine for weeks
with no problems after the initial installation...then out of the blue caja started this
nonsense. In the startup section I **think** I had gnome support checked at one
point but then after I found a post about somebody who had a similar problem
who solved it by unchecking gnome support, I unchecked it but the problem
persists. One thing I don't understand really is all the stuff in ~/.config/autostart for
various desktops. I wonder if xfce is picking up caja from there even though the desktop file
is marked for Mate.

#6 2013-11-18 03:18:53

ozjd
Website

You could try renaming that directory and seeing if that fixes it. Renaming won't delete anything and you can change it back later. You shouldn't get anything starting at log in then.
I know you said you cleared the cache and I guess you were not selecting save session on the log out screen too.

#7 2013-11-18 14:28:22

mccfrank

I'll try that...it just may work, as startup-session list included caja which I deleted.

#8 2013-11-18 20:34:23

mccfrank

Well I had to move caja.desktop files out of ~/.config/autostart AND /etc/xdg/autostart before it
would stop loading them. Strangely enough MATE still works fine, as does Cinnamon.
Weird problem resolved with a weird solution smile I don't know why they are there anyway
as apparently the session manager takes care of loading caja and there is no
need to auto-load it any other way.

Strange too that the problem just appeared.

Last edited by mccfrank (2013-11-18 20:34:49)

#9 2013-11-19 02:06:20

ozjd
Website

Good to hear it is solved. Strange things like this can occur after updates and we know how often Fedora updates everything. One of the prices we pay for using the latest releases.

#10 2014-01-07 00:38:52

mccfrank

ozjd wrote:

Good to hear it is solved. Strange things like this can occur after updates and we know how often Fedora updates everything. One of the prices we pay for using the latest releases.

Well it as solved....but today I had to re-solve it.
It started to load caja again, replacing the xfce desktop with my MATE desktop!
A few hours later I figured out that 1: configuring startup-sessions seems to not work
sometime...and 2: the solution is to remove all the files in ~/.config/sessions.

I configured session-startup, killing the running caja, and removing it from the list.

Didn't work. Next logon caja was back, to that's when I removed all the session-files.
Problem solved...for now.

#11 2014-01-07 00:55:01

ozjd
Website

You need to resave the session when you reconfigure. I always delete saved sessions and then save when I change anything.

#12 2014-01-07 02:20:29

mccfrank

Yes I did that. And cleared out the old sessions...but for some reason it didn't work. It seemed
to be reloading an older session...or the newer one wasn't there. I wonder if perhaps
there is a bug. I'll have to check bugzilla. I still don't understand how caja got into the session in the first place...unless I
at one point opened caja to view a directory. But that shouldn't make it part of the session.

#13 2014-01-07 02:44:39

ozjd
Website

Also make sure that you don't save sessions on exit. Some applications don't close properly and Caja maybe one of those so saving on exit will mean that it is there on a restart. Otherwise it may be a bug as you say.

#14 2014-01-07 04:15:28

mccfrank

Ahhh...that could be. Maybe caja was in the background and the session was being saved on exit ( it was, I just checked on the logout menu),,,so
caja would restart. Anyway what I've done is untick the save on exit, and all seems to be well for now anyway.

Thanks for hanging in.

#15 2014-01-07 05:38:51

MountainDewManiac

At this point, if I was curious, I might try undoing the directory changes to see if things are still fine. If so, I would probably check XFCE's save session on exit again, thinking - logically, I hope (lol) - that if things were fine, I might want XFCE to save "fine" and restart in that same fine state at each login.

Actually, I might do that last part, regardless, but if the first part screwed things up, I'd have to undo my changes (of my changes?) first.

Another thing I'd do would be to check my system's update history/log from the time I saw the issue and back a bit more (say, in case I didn't log out, reboot, or power off the computer for a time between when the issue surfaced and the time a possible guilty update might have been installed). Same goes for any apps/etc. that I might have installed during that time or even (probably grasping at straws on this one) changes I made to my sources list.

Doing any/all of the above could potentially help ensure that the issue didn't resurface, help others pinpoint a bug, or satisfy my curiosity.

Or, I might, instead, think, "I'm glad that's not still doing it," shut down the computer, and go eat a sandwich <GRIN>. Who knows?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#16 2014-01-07 14:11:04

mccfrank

I have done some preliminary "investigation"....but haven't yet worked up the courage to recheck "save on exit" smile
At this point it appears caja was lurking in the background and "save on exit" was what ambushed me. I thought
that going through startup-sessions and removing it would fix it...wrong!  I had a brief look at the update history
but there were no XFCE updates  and only a couple of Mate updates...none relating to caja.
Now I think I'll go make a sandwich smile

#17 2014-01-07 21:35:02

ozjd
Website

I would advise leaving save on exit off unless you particularly want to always come back to where you left off. It is safer to save a clean session and always use that. I can see a use for save on exit but I think most people would be better with it off.

#18 2014-01-07 23:17:07

mccfrank

Sounds good to me ! Lesson learned.

Board footer