Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-14 22:13:50

CaptainMark

XFCE running as user LightDM during login screen

I seem to get this when attempting to install XFCE on Ubuntu 13.10 or any derivative of it that also has LightDM's unity-greeter installed. XFCE starts running as user LightDM during the login screen, offering the familiar question of whether to start using XFCE with the default setup or one empty panel. I've never had this issue before this release.

I have so far been unable to come up with a cause or a workaround for this issue.

Has anyone else had similar problems or know of anyway around it.

Regards
Mark

#2 2014-01-15 01:58:17

Korrode
Website

Re: XFCE running as user LightDM during login screen

Sounds like a LightDM problem to me tongue

Rob McCathie - Manjaro Linux Team
http://manjaro.github.io/download/

#3 2014-01-15 21:31:09

Sideburns
Website

Is there a reason you're installing Xfce as an additional DE?  Have you tried using Xubuntu?

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#4 2014-01-16 05:58:55

poltiser

it happened to me in a form of returning random or unwanted settings on  start of the system. Sometimes deleting the actual settings of the session (in control panel) was returning everything to normal. To me it looks like XFCE has a way to use parallel settings for starting up system and in Xubuntu it goes out of control for some reason (12.10, 13.04, 13.10). In 64MintX16 I don't have this problem any more... I tried to look it up, but as I am not IT trained, I crushed system several times without finding solution. Be careful with your home partition!
It would be nice to have instruction how to install minimal xfce but showing all necessary programs to have system up and running with internet, sound etc. step by step. Otherwise it will be always choice between Xubuntu, SolydX, LinuxMintX or others... but none of them avoids described trouble.
Xfce remains my best choice for simplicity and few handy features like Directory Menu in panel (one can open any file directly from menu using *.* file pattern!)
Best regards...

#5 2014-01-16 11:25:18

MountainDewManiac

poltiser wrote:

it happened to me in a form of returning random or unwanted settings on  start of the system. Sometimes deleting the actual settings of the session (in control panel) was returning everything to normal. To me it looks like XFCE has a way to use parallel settings for starting up system and in Xubuntu it goes out of control for some reason (12.10, 13.04, 13.10). In 64MintX16 I don't have this problem any more... I tried to look it up, but as I am not IT trained, I crushed system several times without finding solution. Be careful with your home partition!
It would be nice to have instruction how to install minimal xfce but showing all necessary programs to have system up and running with internet, sound etc. step by step. Otherwise it will be always choice between Xubuntu, SolydX, LinuxMintX or others... but none of them avoids described trouble.

You have experienced this issue in every distro that you mentioned?(!!!?)

In that case, since the related forums do not appear to be filled with threads in which (many) other people are reporting the same issue... My guess is that the problem is on your side; look to some specific thing that you are doing (if you are configuring/customizing every install the same in some way) or to a possible problem with your hardware.

I could be wrong, of course, but if the cause is something else - and widespread enough to be present in multiple distros - I would expect to see many reports.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2014-01-29 01:20:27

herbie643

Have you check .xinitrc  i think if you have it set to exec startxfce4

Board footer