Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-11 14:05:28

Snood

How do I donate to Xfce projects?

I hope I haven't missed seeing an obvious clue, but...

How can I send a donation to the various projects involved in the development of the Xfce desktop? I decided that I'm going to contribute what money I can to the projects developing the distro I use as well as the various associated software. But I can't find a donation link for Xfce.

#2 2009-11-12 00:51:38

Wapush

Re: How do I donate to Xfce projects?

There was a call for donation for a buildbot server a few months ago on the mailing list, but I don't remember the details. So I guess that you'll have more chance to have this information on the mailing list.

#3 2009-11-12 13:18:08

Snood

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give the list a shot.

#4 2009-11-13 02:11:51

Wapush

#5 2009-11-13 18:40:39

Snood

Even though the request for help with expenses in shipping and setting up the buildbot is pretty old, I went ahead and sent some funds to the e-mail address listed. I hope it helps. Thanks for your help, Wapush.

#6 2012-02-12 15:57:41

antisa

I'd like to donate to. Is there a simple way of doing so?

#7 2012-02-15 18:30:35

mikodo

Thunar (File Manager), is under heavy development and could use some help. See here:

http://thunar.xfce.org/contribute.html

#8 2012-02-16 07:02:29

Nick
Dev
Website

We are still working on setting up the Xfce foundation, this is however not something that is done in a jiffy. Expectation is that we have this ready in Q2/3 this year.

#9 2012-02-16 11:48:44

antisa

Donated 5$ to Thunar!

#10 2012-02-16 18:16:16

mikodo

Nick wrote:

We are still working on setting up the Xfce foundation, this is however not something that is done in a jiffy. Expectation is that we have this ready in Q2/3 this year.

Thanks, for the update on this. I have been wondering about it. I'll be sending a donation.

#11 2012-02-22 05:12:59

Edgar Manhattan

I too will send a donation when there is a mechanism to do that. 

I fled to Xfce  when Gnome 3 replaced Gnome 2 in my normal distribution (I use Mint's Debian rolling distro).   After using Xfce for awhile, I've realized that I'm happier with Xfce4 than I was with Gnome 2.   It's more pleasing in lots of ways, and as I've explored its possibilities I've realized that it's panel manager and other bits and pieces are better than what I had been used to.

For awhile I left the complete Gnome environment installed too, although I wasn't using it, but I couldn't do a full update - I kept having dependency problems, all of them involving Gnome core and other Gnome apps.   So I've uninstalled most of Gnome, only keeping a few useful things, and my updates are smooth again.  I did keep the Gnome NetworkManager app, and gksu (I couldn't find an Xfce equivalent), and a couple of other things - but I use Kate and Krusader from KDE too sometimes, so I've always mixed-and-matched.   I like and use a lot of the alternative Xfce apps I've tried for various functions.

So - I'm really grateful to the Xfce developers for doing such a professional job.   And for inadvertently providing such a comfortable, useful and attractive haven for those of us who started out on Gnome and then just used it out of habit until we were forced out by Gnome  3.   

Edgar

#12 2013-08-25 18:23:19

rye

Hi,

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'd be eager to occasionally donate to xfce
is there any update on an easy way to do this?

many thanks.

Ryan

#13 2014-01-22 23:05:03

0strodamus

I would gladly donate too!

archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

#14 2014-01-23 00:57:14

MountainDewManiac

I found this:

http://foundation.xfce.org/

...but the "How to donate to the Xfce Foundation?" page just says that it doesn't exist yet. Under "contact," there is an XFCE Foundation mailing list and also an email address ("If you prefer a private discussion with members of the Board of Directors, you can write...") listed.

There is also this:

http://wiki.xfce.org/

...but I did not see any reference to a method of donating. In fact, that webpage is pretty sparse and does not appear to have much information. I was able to determine that XFCE 4.12 is about 10 months behind schedule using that website, lol, so there is some information - just not much. (For the record, I'm quite happy with 4.10 + the updated bits that have been placed in the 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs, so as long as it continues to function I'm in no hurry.)

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#15 2014-07-15 12:16:15

sonycdr

Guys, this is unbelievable!

Why do you discourage people to donate for you by providing a "Page does not exist" error?

Why can't we still not donate? The possibility has been requested already in 2009!

#16 2014-07-15 16:38:21

eric_the_idiot

I know some of the Xubuntu devs were talking about using something like https://www.bountysource.com/  but I didn't follow it beyond that. I've never looked into any of those systems, but if there's nagging bugs or features someone would want, this might encourage new people to contribute or maintain parts of Xfce. That would be awesome.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubun … 10238.html is the thread from Xubuntu-land.

#17 2014-07-16 05:48:19

sonycdr

eric_the_idiot wrote:

I know some of the Xubuntu devs were talking about using something like https://www.bountysource.com/  but I didn't follow it beyond that. I've never looked into any of those systems, but if there's nagging bugs or features someone would want, this might encourage new people to contribute or maintain parts of Xfce. That would be awesome.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubun … 10238.html is the thread from Xubuntu-land.

Bummer, I don't see any follow-up on Simon's mailing list post.

#18 2014-07-25 16:12:08

eric_the_idiot

Good news, I talked with Simon about it and we got it setup!

https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/20 … 33634.html

https://www.bountysource.com/teams/xfce

#19 2014-07-25 20:59:19

MountainDewManiac

sonycdr wrote:

Guys, this is unbelievable!

Why do you discourage people to donate for you by providing a "Page does not exist" error?

Why can't we still not donate? The possibility has been requested already in 2009!

It's good that they've set something up - but it's bad that one must awe this thread or be on a mailing list to learn about it.

(IMHO) this sort of thing should be on both the XFCE website and the XFCE wiki... and a "404" page should never be (at least, there shouldn't be a link to a page that doesn't exist for months (+). My suggestion is that if you don't have a volunteer to add a missing page, at least remove the link.

It just occurred to me that that (not having a volunteer who can do website work) might be the problem. In the days of old, great artists - and I credit the XFCE developers as bring among that group - had patrons who not only financed their works, but also covered those little extras like food/clothing/shelter. Sadly, that doesn't appear top be the case these days. They have to work to support themselves and their families (and, one assumes, find time to actually see those families upon occasion, lol). I suspect that any volunteer work they do must happen long after most of us have already put in a full day and give to bed. The goal probably draws a lot of people, but I guess the reality probably sends many away (if not immediately then when they realize that they've missed their children's birthdays, their anniversary... or that divorce hearing they didn't even see coming wink ). So, yeah, I can easily imagine that they cannot find a webmaster who has a great deal of stamina and an utter disregard for <COUGH> personal safety <COUGH>.

I don't know HTML from TGIF, or I'd offer to help. But perhaps someone here is both capable and willing? I bet lots of people would appreciate it, although you might not see a lot of "thank yous." You would, however, certainly have mine.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer