Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-27 00:44:58

KCS12

Samsung Chromebook, XFCE and Android App Development

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new here. Disclaimer, I am green to software development or open source operating systems. I took a few Java courses in high school and some visual basic classes in college. Otherwise I know nothing. Rather like a child who needs his hand held I'm asking for the most basic of advice concerning XFCE.

I am interested in learning how to develop mobile applications for android devices. I would like to use my Samsung Chromebook to do so. I've installed XFCE on my chromebook. So far so good.

I've been taking a Coursera course on android app development and they recommend using the Android SDK found here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

I downloaded the ADT bundle for linux (32 bit)

And they also tell me I will need Java SE 6.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ … 19409.html

I downloaded the Linux x64 .bin file.

While in XFCE I've tried to run the Eclipse executable file that comes with the ADT Bundle. It asks me to specify what program to run it with and I don't understand why if it is an executable file. Is there anyone out there who can help me out?

Thanks!

#2 2014-01-27 01:39:06

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Samsung Chromebook, XFCE and Android App Development

I downloaded the ADT bundle for linux (32 bit)

I downloaded the Linux x64 .bin file.

Is your system 32 bit or 64 bit? You shouldn't mix architectures - it won't work. From your description of the problem, it sounds like you have a 64-bit system and you downloaded the 32-bit version of the ADT package.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-01-27 02:15:21

MountainDewManiac

Re: Samsung Chromebook, XFCE and Android App Development

(After sorting out whether you're using 32- or 64-bit,) sometimes you have to right-click on the file's icon, (then select Properties, I think,) and check a box next to an option to make the file executable.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer