Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-29 02:31:01

golinux

Change xfburn default settings?

xfburn defaults to my /home/user directory.   I would like to change that to my Desktop directory.  Also I would like to change the default speed from max to 4x.  It's a bit of a pain to have to change these settings every time I burn a disk.  have searched online and looked in obvious places for the configuration file but haven't found it.  Could you please tell me where it's hiding?  Thanks.

#2 2014-01-29 02:53:20

ozjd
Website

Re: Change xfburn default settings?

There is a settings.xml in ~/.config/xfburn/. Not sure if you can add the options you want though.

#3 2014-01-29 18:38:10

golinux

Yes, I found that before I posted.  What would be the syntax to change those options I mentioned?

#4 2014-01-31 18:03:20

golinux

No one on the xfce forum knows how to do this?

#5 2014-02-01 01:01:20

ToZ
Administrator

As per ozjd, there is a settings.xml file that lists the settings that can be changed. Unfortunately, the ones that you want to change cannot be set there. Feel free to create a bug report/enhancement request at https://bugzilla.xfce.org/.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2014-02-01 10:15:28

MountainDewManiac

Have you thought to download the xfburn source code archive and look through it? xfburn-directory-browser.c (and .h) look interesting, and possibly have what you're looking to change; if so, all you'd have to do would be to change it and then compile the application (err... I think?).

There are also a pair of xfburn-file-browser. files. And lots more. I just looked through a few, turns out this whole "source code" thing is really neat, lol. I never did that before. It's sort of like a simplified (no, probably not...) version of those old BASIC programs from the Commodore 64 (and PET 2001 wink ) days, only without line numbers, hmm? Anyway, from what I could tell, each and every one of those files have internal documentation, sort of, to tell a person just what they are/do. Shouldn't take you longer than a couple of, err, umm... somethings to go through them all and figure out which part controls the initial directory that is displayed, change it, compile that new custom version of xfburn, try it out, then either be happy with success or go back to the source code files (the originals) and try changing something else, then compile that, et cetera.

Hmm. Actually, what you probably ought to do before you do any of that is to determine if an application that has its .(application) directory in your /home/(username) directory... if the default behavior for ANY such application is to start off in said directory. Because, if so, then you'd be looking for something in one of those source code files that gives you an option (the variables seem to all be named/described in semi-human English), but either doesn't specify a definition for that option or calls it NULL (something like that, but NULL appeared to get used a lot). Otherwise, you might end up chasing your tail around in circles looking for a line that specifies your specific /home/(username) directory when there isn't one because such specifying isn't required. If, you know, such is the case. IDK if it is or it isn't, so that's why I suggest that you make that determination right straight off the bat.

Err... All of that is probably less intelligible than it seemed to me when I was typing it in, lol, but hopefully it makes at least a little sense. The main thing is, all those files in the xfburn source code archive have all kinds of comments in them that explain what the lines that actually do things are, what the variables mean, what they are, etc. They're really neat. It looks like even if a starting directory isn't specified, it can be. So I'm guessing that the solution you seek is within them. Probably take a little trial and error is all. Just remember if you don't succeed at first, don't keep changing your changed files, delete them and go back and change something else in the originals (suggest creating a text file in your favorite editor listing the changes you have made so you don't end up trying the same change multiple times).

Regards,
MDM

EDIT: I forgot to mention, before I downloaded the source code archive to glance through, I tried to find an easy way by opening a terminal and typing

xfburn ~/Desktop

but it just ran like it always does. Then I did the same thing with Thunar - and it opened in my Desktop directory. That's why I have the idea that it's "hard-coded" and that you'll change it by finding and changing it in the applicable source code file. It's not hard-coded in Thunar, apparently, because you can start it in whatever directory you specify, see? And for the sake of completeness, I then changed my current directory in the terminal window so that I was actually starting xfburn from my Desktop directory, so to speak - and it still started as usual, in my ~/(username) directory.

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2014-02-01 10:33:11)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2014-02-01 20:22:48

golinux

Thanks for the suggestion.  Have down loaded the source.  If I'm lucky I'll stumble across what I need to change and will possibly be able to adapt it to the local ,xml file.

Board footer