Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-08 17:19:19

rayandrews

trying to open xfce4-terminal with a command

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to get xfce4-terminal to  execute 'cd .' every time it launches.  (Why 'cd .' you ask? Because I don't want to actually change directories, but I do want to execute a command that zsh hooks to the 'cd' command.)  I've tried every combination of  '-x, -H, -e', with and without quotes, via script and calling 'cd' directly, like this:

xfce4-terminal --geometry=90x50 -H --command "cd ."

... or:

xfce4-terminal --geometry=90x50 -H --command "cd"

... and via a script like this:

xfce4-terminal --geometry=90x50 -H --command /aWorking/Zsh/cd-script

The first form gives me an 'Unknown option "." msg.
The second form gives me a 'Failed to execute child ' msg.
The third form brings up a terminal but with no prompt, just a cursor at top right.

The man page, and other posts on this topic, seem like it should be easy, but nothing works.  Any thoughts?

Last edited by rayandrews (2014-02-08 17:24:42)

#2 2014-02-08 20:05:09

ToZ
Administrator

Re: trying to open xfce4-terminal with a command

xfce4-terminal --geometry=90x50 -H --command /aWorking/Zsh/cd-script

I think you're on the right track with this one, but keep mind that "cd ." doesn't really do anything. The -H will keep the window up and you won't see anything. Try adding another command like "echo Test" to the end of your file to see if it displays.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-02-09 00:26:27

MountainDewManiac

Re: trying to open xfce4-terminal with a command

Could you write a script that accesses a file containing the text "sh" and copies it, then opens a terminal and pastes the contents of the clipboard? I guess that might be a somewhat complicated bit of kludge just to save you the effort of quickly hitting the s key with your left-hand ring finger and then the h key with your left-hand index finger, though, lol.

(NOTE: If you are missing your left hand - or the aforementioned fingers - or suffer from muscular dystrophy and/or paralysis in your left hand, please disregard the last comment and most especially the "lol.")

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer