Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-08 17:19:19

rayandrews

trying to open xfce4-terminal with a command

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to get xfce4-terminal to  execute 'cd .' every time it launches.  (Why 'cd .' you ask? Because I don't want to actually change directories, but I do want to execute a command that zsh hooks to the 'cd' command.)  I've tried every combination of  '-x, -H, -e', with and without quotes, via script and calling 'cd' directly, like this:

xfce4-terminal --geometry=90x50 -H --command "cd ."

... or:

xfce4-terminal --geometry=90x50 -H --command "cd"

... and via a script like this:

xfce4-terminal --geometry=90x50 -H --command /aWorking/Zsh/cd-script

The first form gives me an 'Unknown option "." msg.
The second form gives me a 'Failed to execute child ' msg.
The third form brings up a terminal but with no prompt, just a cursor at top right.

The man page, and other posts on this topic, seem like it should be easy, but nothing works.  Any thoughts?

Last edited by rayandrews (2014-02-08 17:24:42)

#2 2014-02-08 20:05:09

ToZ

Re: trying to open xfce4-terminal with a command

xfce4-terminal --geometry=90x50 -H --command /aWorking/Zsh/cd-script

I think you're on the right track with this one, but keep mind that "cd ." doesn't really do anything. The -H will keep the window up and you won't see anything. Try adding another command like "echo Test" to the end of your file to see if it displays.

#3 2014-02-09 00:26:27

MountainDewManiac

Re: trying to open xfce4-terminal with a command

Could you write a script that accesses a file containing the text "sh" and copies it, then opens a terminal and pastes the contents of the clipboard? I guess that might be a somewhat complicated bit of kludge just to save you the effort of quickly hitting the s key with your left-hand ring finger and then the h key with your left-hand index finger, though, lol.

(NOTE: If you are missing your left hand - or the aforementioned fingers - or suffer from muscular dystrophy and/or paralysis in your left hand, please disregard the last comment and most especially the "lol.")

Board footer