Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-10 18:49:31

Digger
Website

Xfce Power Manager - "CPU frequency control" Option is Missing

Hello all,

I'm beating my head against the wall with this problem.

I have two identical laptops, eee pc 901's.  One has Debian Squeeze loaded on it, the other has Debian Wheezy loaded on it.  Both loads are minimal installs.

On the Squeeze machine, when I call up the extended tab of the Xfce Power Manager preference window, this is what I see (I have added a red rectangle around the window's "CPU frequency control" option):

Xfce4PowerManager-Squeeze.png

Now, on my Wheezy machine, the same window looks like this:

Xfce4PowerManager-Wheezy.png

Note the absence of the "CPU frequency control" option!  Also, the "Hibernate" option is greyed out....not sure if that is related to my problem (both machines are lacking swap partitions, btw).

Since the CPU frequency control feature works really well on my Squeeze machine, I'd like to use it on my Wheezy machine (it currently uses the "ondemand" governor for CPU speed at all times, which is not desireable for me when on battery power).

The "xfce4-power-manager" package I loaded on the Wheezy machine uses version 1.0.11, while the Squeeze version uses version 0.8.5.

I've got the "udisks", "consolekit", and "librsvg2-common" packages installed on both machines.

I've got the "xfce4-power-manager-plugins" package installed on the Squeeze machine, but not on the Wheezy machine (the Wheezy machine being the one that has the problem) - but I don't think that this fact has any bearing on my problem.

The closest thing I could find when searching for my problem were these, but they didn't really help me:

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7250

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1365043

What am I missing here?  Any help is appreciated!

TIA!

Last edited by Digger (2014-02-11 00:06:17)

Xfce 4.6.2; Debian Squeeze

#2 2014-02-10 21:19:02

Digger
Website

Re: Xfce Power Manager - "CPU frequency control" Option is Missing

I have some more data to present that MAY help in solving this problem.

I noted that, on the Squeeze machine (the one without the problem), when I hover the mouse pointer over the CPU Graph display in the Xfce4 panel, I get a frequency readout:

CPUGraphHover-SqueezeE.png

The frequency readout does not appear when I do the same thing on the Wheezy machine (the one with the problem):

CPUGraphHover-WheezyE.png

I hope this additional information is helpful in solving this problem.....thanks for looking!

#3 2014-02-11 03:02:04

ToZ
Administrator

It looks like the cpu frequency controls were taken out of xfce4-power-manager with this commit. What I can't find is why.

There is this Debian wiki entry that talks about cpu frequency scaling that might be helpful. Especially the reference to cpufreq-set.

As for the hibernate option being grayed out, what does the following command return:

xfce4-power-manager --dump

Oops, I see you don't have a swap partition, that is why hibernate is grayed out.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-02-11 03:03:52)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2014-02-11 04:39:21

Digger
Website

ToZ,

Nice detective work!

I wonder why I was able to find nothing about the fact that CPU frequency control was disabled for the version of Xfce Power Manager used in Wheezy?  Seems strange.....

In any event, I'm sure I can find another way to slay this beast.

Does anyone out there have any ideas about why this function was removed?

TIA!

#5 2014-02-14 02:40:00

Digger
Website

Just to suitcase this thread:

I contacted the developer with this question.  Here is his reply:

This option is no longer available in the backend (Xfce power manager relies on a upower backend), it is automatically set to powersave on battery and to performance on AC power.

My solution to this problem (I'm running Debian Wheezy (eeepc-acpi-scripts package loaded) on an Asus eee PC 901) was to add some "cpufreq-set" lines to the "/etc/pm/power.d/SHE.sh" script.

Works great!

IHTH someone!

Board footer