Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-03 07:39:58

AOxo

Window Buttons panel icons stop scaling @32px+

I'm thinking about switching from KDE to Xfce, but I would like to be able to sort of recreate the "Unity" look with the panel.  I'm having trouble getting the Xfce panel "window buttons" plugin to scale the icons beyond about 24-32px.  They scale smaller than this if I make the panel much smaller, but they won't grow larger than this despite everything I've tried.  I use a 1080p TV for a monitor and the icons are just a bit on the small side for me.

There is this post at Xfce Docs that describes a setting, but not really any detail on how to use it.  Searching around other sources produced similar questions but no more answer.  I set the setting as suggested by various forums, most of which also indicated that it has no effect.  I've asked in IRC, and even got someone to show me a screenshot of their UI, which oddly enough looked like it scaled larger for them.  I can't say what resolution they were at though.  I can say they used Faenza, as I am.  I have also tried other icons sets, including the default.

I've tried this with both Xubuntu 13.10 and Ubuntu 13.10 with xfce4 and xfce4-goodies installed.

This is Xfce
0wy1.png

This is KDE.  I'm just showing it so you can see the icon scale I'm used to using.
h2lo.png

In case it's unclear, I'm talking about the icons on the panel that represent the running programs, ie: Chrome in both examples.  In the KDE shot this includes some "pinned" programs too.

#2 2013-11-03 16:31:23

MountainDewManiac

Re: Window Buttons panel icons stop scaling @32px+

I'm (somewhat) surprised that there isn't a setting in the Accessibility settings menu called "make text and images larger/readable."  But I just checked and there isn't.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2013-11-04 11:50:20

AOxo

If I wanted to scale everything differently I could change resolution or change the default font size.  But I don't see much in the way of icon size options, apart from having to use custom system settings that seem poorly documented.  I did manage to change the scale of various other icons, including the the launcher menu icons.  I just coudn't find the setting I needed.  I don't know if I'm going to be able to live with the "Window Buttons" plugin anyway.  Apart from this icon scale problem, theres no window thumbnails and no way I can see to pin a program shortcut.  Since this area sees a fair bit of interaction with the user it would be nice to see a few more features or options.

Last edited by AOxo (2013-11-04 12:01:40)

#4 2013-12-01 11:07:37

AOxo

Doesn't this drive anyone else crazy?  I know it does because theres posts 2 years old asking about this.

#5 2014-02-18 13:59:34

Charlie Prime

AOxo wrote:

If I wanted to scale everything differently I could change resolution or change the default font size.

That is my quick-n-dirty method for making things larger fast on new XFCE installs. 

I am also seeking a way to make the window control buttons larger.

#6 2014-12-15 22:04:30

edounn

i was google'n for something and ran across this.  so thought i'd throw this in here.

I used to do this on my mac to try and fake a higher resolution, so i'd have more desktop room to work.  anyway, to scale stuff in x11 use xrandr

ex.) xrandr --output LVDS --mode <your-native-resolution> --scale <scaling-factor>

Board footer