Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-19 03:05:33

reguspatoff

xfdesktop crashes and seg faults

I am using xfce on openSUSE 13.1 and xfdesktop fails to run indicating it seg faults. This happened after I upgraded from SuSE 12.3 to 13.1. Everything else seems to be ok and everything worked before the upgrade. Any ideas as to how to fix the problem?

#2 2014-02-19 03:49:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfdesktop crashes and seg faults

Try clearing your sessions cache. If you're using Xfce 4.10, you can find the option in Settings Manager -> Session and Startup -> Sessions tab. If you're using a version earlier than 4.10, you'll have to manually delete ~/.cache/sessions while not logged in.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-02-19 05:38:59

reguspatoff

I tried your suggestion no change. This is some of the error messages:
(xfdesktop:4190): GLib-WARNING**: (gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain !=0)
Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect the session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified
are supported and host-based authentication failed.

**(xfdesktop:4190): WARNING **:xfdesktop: unable to connect to settings daemon: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.. Default will be used

Several failures followed and the the seg fault.

Hope this helps.

#4 2014-02-19 14:13:45

ToZ
Administrator

reguspatoff wrote:

I am using xfce on openSUSE 13.1 and xfdesktop fails to run indicating it seg faults. This happened after I upgraded from SuSE 12.3 to 13.1.

Did the upgrade complete successfully without issue?

**(xfdesktop:4190): WARNING **:xfdesktop: unable to connect to settings daemon: Did not receive a reply.

Is xfsettingsd running? If not, what happens if you try to start it? If it starts successfully, try manually re-starting xfdesktop.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-02-19 16:59:44

reguspatoff

Yes, upgraded no problems, even xfdesktop worked fine. Yes,  xfsettingsd is running. Something even stranger, now xfdesktop will work fine one time I start the computer. The next time it won't.

I tried starting xfdesktop, using xfdesktop --display= 0.0,

but it failed with this error:
Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:

#6 2014-02-19 17:37:34

ToZ
Administrator

reguspatoff wrote:

Yes, upgraded no problems, even xfdesktop worked fine. Yes,  xfsettingsd is running. Something even stranger, now xfdesktop will work fine one time I start the computer. The next time it won't.

I tried starting xfdesktop, using xfdesktop --display= 0.0,

but it failed with this error:
Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:

There should be no spaces between the = and the display designation. Try:

xfdesktop --display=:0.0

#7 2014-02-20 01:53:29

reguspatoff

That did the trick. xfdesktop started and appears to be running correctly. As to why it happens I don't know, but doing what you said seems fix it when it doesn't start at first.

Thanks for the help.

Board footer