Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-21 07:16:11

reset042

Thunar shortcut for sort order?

Is it possible to set a keyboard shortcut in Thunar to change ascending or descending sort order?

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it tedious to have to right-click to change whether a folder is sorted by name or modification date, and then repeat the process immediately and right-click again to change sorting by ascending or descending? Is it really that clunky, or am I doing it wrong?

Can I set a preferred or favourite view (I like to default to Compact view, sorted by Name, Ascending) and invoke that with a keyboard shortcut? That would make things a lot easier.

#2 2014-02-22 00:05:12

gnome_refugee

Re: Thunar shortcut for sort order?

Hi, reset042.

Isn't the easiest way to sort files by column (name, size, type, etc) in Thunar to left-click once on the column's title bar?

But it's true that once you've set a particular sort order, Thunar remembers that sort order for the next time it's opened. That information is stored in ~/.config/Thunar/thunarrc (on my machine, anyway) in a simple text file. Could you write a shell script which changes the relevant lines in thunarrc to the 'default' values you want, then launches Thunar?

#3 2014-02-23 10:34:57

reset042

Re: Thunar shortcut for sort order?

Thanks gnome_refugee (I like the nickname, btw! Me too. I think it's a shame there's still a small amount of Gnome silliness in XFCE but hopefully that will disappear over time.)

I don't have the title bar displayed. I much prefer compact view. I like to have as many files as possible displayed in the window, as I know what my files are called and like to get quick, one-click access to them. With list view it all too often involves scrolling which wastes time. I'd love it if compact view had those column headings!

Interesting idea about changing thunarrc, thanks.

Board footer