Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-27 15:24:41

MountainDewManiac

THUNAR: Audio Preview "Thumbnails?"

I switched from GNOME to XFCE some time back. I was unable to figure out how to make thumbnails work for video files. I tried adjusting a few things, installed things that looked vaguely like they might help... But basically groped around in the dark until I gave up & installed PCFileMan (every week or so I'd run it, navigate to each of my directories, and exit the app - and, as all files then had thumbnail images, Thunar would display them, lol). "A bit" unwieldy, but it worked.

I was quite happy when later updates meant that Thunar started crating thumbnail images. So happy that I forgot about asking this for a while:

When I used GNOME, its file manager also provided audio "thumbnails" (probably incorrect term); whenever I would hover my mouse cursor over an audio file (icon) that was in a format that my system had the correct codecs to play, GNOME's file manager would start playing the audio. When I moved my cursor away, the audio would stop.

Can this currently be done somehow in XFCE? If so, how does one configure it? If not, I would like to request it... If more people are interested in the feature than just myself. Tips on presenting my request might be helpful; for example, would the developers know about this or would I have to find a webpage that explains how it works in GNOME's file manager and reference it when submitting such a request?

Thanks,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2014-02-28 02:11:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: THUNAR: Audio Preview "Thumbnails?"

I think the closest you're going to be able to get is a custom action - but that won't be activated by a hover, but rather with a right-click and selection. The hover aspect will need to be programmed in. However, there is this patch. Doesn't look like its been implemented though.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-02-28 07:50:20

MountainDewManiac

Re: THUNAR: Audio Preview "Thumbnails?"

Bummer. And I suppose that if it wouldn't be activated with a hover, it wouldn't be deactivated by the cessation of, er, a hover.

So at this point, it'd be both easier and more sensible to double-click on a file and let whichever app it is that the system currently has assigned to the role of audio file player deal with it. Shame.

I wonder how Nautilus manages it? If it does it natively or if it uses one or more helper files?

I haven't used GNOME's file manager since they were still doing GNOME 2.x. Probably pull in a lot of other files, tax an already overtaxed system, and not integrate well.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer