Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-04 18:08:43

CharlesVG

xfsettingsd crashes when using vnc4server on ubuntu 13.10

Hi,

First of all I want to thank all who support XFCE for their great work.
If this is not the right place to post this kind of problem please accept my apologies and please point me to the right place.
I have tried to report this problem on ubuntu forums without luck.

If anyone can point me to xfsettingsd's source code and give me some pointers on how to build that, I'd gladly try and fix it myself.
I just don't know where to begin.

Now to the point :

Ubuntu x64 13.10 server (3.11.0-15-generic  ; this is not xubuntu, but ubuntu server with XFCE) with vnc4server ( 4.1.1+xorg4.3.0-37ubuntu5 ) .
XFCE 4.10

I'm running a slightly modified fork of XRDP v.0.7 (the modifications only are about XRDP login management see https://github.com/charlesvg/xrdp).
I'm pretty sure this issue is not related to XRDP though. I basically run vnc4server to feed XRDP to allow me to Remote Desktop from windows to XFCE.

I can see xfsettingsd gets run when opening the VNC session but it crashes.
This results in missing icons, no themes etc.
(Please note that this is my daily desktop from work, when logging in without VNC -- ie locally -- everything works fine)

When I try to run xfsettingsd manually from command line I get :

root@cbox:/home/charlesvpn/Desktop# xfsettingsd
Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
root@cbox:/home/charlesvpn/Desktop#
(xfsettingsd:4778): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: RANDR extension is too old, version 1.1. Display settings won't be applied.
Xlib:  extension "XInputExtension" missing on display ":10.0".

(xfsettingsd:4778): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: XI is not present.

(xfsettingsd:4778): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: Failed to initialize the Xkb extension.

(xfsettingsd:4778): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: Failed to initialize the Accessibility extension.

------------ Thank you for your help

Last edited by CharlesVG (2014-04-04 18:13:14)

#2 2014-04-04 19:10:45

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfsettingsd crashes when using vnc4server on ubuntu 13.10

Can you try running xfsettingsd with the sync parameter to see if that makes a difference?

xfsettingsd --sync

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-04-04 20:04:34

CharlesVG

ToZ: first off, thanks for helping.

Sadly this doesn't seem to resolve the problem.
Googling your suggestion I came accross http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8713
I'm now trying xfsettingsd --display (and others without luck so far)

Do you have any insight in what may be the cause here? Other things I can try? Thanks.

So here are my outputs :

------------------------------------------------------
(xfsettingsd:5732): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: RANDR extension is too old, version 1.1. Display settings won't be applied.

(xfsettingsd:5732): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: XI is not present.

(xfsettingsd:5732): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: Failed to initialize the Xkb extension.

(xfsettingsd:5732): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: Failed to initialize the Accessibility extension.

------------------------------------------------
root@cbox:/home/charlesvpn/Desktop# xfsettingsd --replace --no-daemon --sync
Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

(xfsettingsd:5898): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: RANDR extension is too old, version 1.1. Display settings won't be applied.

(xfsettingsd:5898): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: XI is not present.

(xfsettingsd:5898): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: Failed to initialize the Xkb extension.

(xfsettingsd:5898): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: Failed to initialize the Accessibility extension.
^C

------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help.

PS : I will set up a virtual machine with ubuntu x64 13.10 + vnc4server and see if I can confirm this is not related to anything else.
PPS : This is my ubuntu forums post : http://askubuntu.com/questions/411782/x … missing-xi

EDIT : Just tried (http://askubuntu.com/questions/284691/w … references) , does not work .

Last edited by CharlesVG (2014-04-04 20:21:36)

#4 2014-04-04 22:54:55

ToZ
Administrator

I had come across some threads (probably the same you found) with a similar error message and a fix that apparently worked, and suggested you give it a try.

I also just finished setting up a vm test scenario here as well and all works well. My package versions:
- xorg-server = 1.15.0-5
- vncserver = 1.3.1-1 (tigervnc)
- Xfce 4.10

How did your test go?

Unfortunately, I don't have an ubuntu 13.10 setup available for testing. I think it might be related to the versions of the packages you have - some sort of bug.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-04-05 17:56:08

CharlesVG

Hi someone came over unexpectedly last night, didn't have time to finish my tests. I'll post my results as soon as I can.
Thanks for going to such lengths to help me out!

[EDIT] I just noticed you are using tigervnc. I'm unsure about whether vnc4server is the same thing as tigervnc (fork ? rebranded package?) ?
We use tigervnc for our CentOS / Red Hat servers at work but _if_ I recall right I couldn't get tigervnc on ubuntu to work with XRDP.

Mhh.. I really think I need to do some VM testing and see if I can give you a reproducible bug/problem.
As I said, I'll do that and get back to you.

Last edited by CharlesVG (2014-04-05 18:07:43)

Board footer