Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-15 15:51:15

hugo00

Xfce4 + mixer + sound + help

Okay, here's the thing... I really enjoy xfce4 over any other desktop environment that I could try. At the moment I'm using a fedora + gnome3 just cuz it works the way I want and I'm unable to achieve the same results with xfce4.
The only thing holding me on gnome 3 is the sound management.

So let me explain what the actual problem is. I have a usb headset that I use most of the times, and sometimes I just use the default device. I dont really want to manually run a script everytime I plug in my headset, so I installed pulseaudio and loaded a module there ( switch-on-connect ) which works just fine. But, by doing that xfce4-mixer show the wrong device when I have my headset on (it shows the builtin one). Okay, I can run a script to change the correct active device... and I lose the notifications and the xfce4-mixer shows the volume for the wrong device.
I even tried using pnmixer ( it almost did what I wanted, just had to right click on it and "reload alsa" to get the mixer updated to the right device )

Is there a better setup for this purpose? Headset + builtin + media keys + sound mixer displaying active device
Is there a way to make this works without pulseaudio?

I really want to use xfce4, and that's really the only thing holding me on gnome 3 --".

@OffTopic: Sorry about my English... I'm trying to improve.

#2 2014-04-15 21:25:13

Sideburns
Website

Re: Xfce4 + mixer + sound + help

Is there a specific reason that you don't want to use pulseaudio?  Granted, when it first came out, it looked like a solution looking for a problem, but it does its job and does it well.  I'm not sure why it's not working for you, but this is more of a fedora issue than one with Xfce.  (I use fedora with Xfce and have no problems with pulseaudio.)  You might want to ask this at ask fedora, http://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/ or the fedora forum, http://fedoraforum.org, because you'll be more likely to get the type of help you need there.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2014-04-15 22:08:30

hugo00

Oh I see, but I don't really think that it's a fedora issue only... I tried other distributions also with the same results.
Pulseaudio indeed works just fine... what doesn't work is the mixer with a headset on ( which will be displaying the volume for the builtin interface ), and the media keys ( which you can replace with a script to get the active pulseaudio sink, I'm fine with that ).
What I want to achieve is to get the mixer to display the correct pulseaudio active device ( or an alternative mixer like pnmixer for example - which almost solves my issues ).

#4 2014-04-15 22:30:14

Sideburns
Website

It may not be fedora-specific, but that's the distro you're using right now, and AFAIK Xfce has nothing to do with it.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer