Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-23 09:49:30

evey_hammond

[Solved] Panel Starts Undesirably In Kiosk Mode

I am on a fresh install of Arch Linux with xfce4.10.

When I login, I get a dialog box that states that my panel is locked down because I am running in Kiosk mode.  I didn't enable it as it is a clean install.

Apparently the file /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml is supposed to enable it, so I created it (it did not actually exist) and made my user the "unlocked" user.  I still get the message.  I have cleared my session cache and yet still the dialog comes back when the panel is re-executed.

I tried deleting and recreating my user, which solved the problem for one login, and then the problem came back when I rebooted.

Any help on this is really appreciated.

#2 2014-04-23 10:43:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Panel Starts Undesirably In Kiosk Mode

I wonder if this redhat bug report might be relelvant. I would suggest logging out and while logged out, manually deleting the ~/.cache/sessions directory and contents. Log in again. If xfce4-panel doesn't autostart, start it via running xfce4-panel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-04-23 11:00:06

evey_hammond

I have manually deleted the ~/.cache/sessions directory.  I have uninstalled xfce4 and xfce4-goodies packages.  I have removed the ~/.config/xfce4 directories.

When I reinstall and login again I get the same message.

Is there any other file that could be telling xfce that I am in kiosk mode?

#4 2014-04-23 11:22:30

donaldbroatch

Solution: Drop out of XFCE with Ctrl + Alt + F1, navigated to ~/.cache/sessions/ and delete the contents with the following command:

rm -rf *

Restart, log in to XFCE, set up panels as required and save the session on exit to see your panels appear at next log on.

http://dontsurfinthenude.blogspot.co.uk … ances.html

#5 2014-04-24 09:21:13

evey_hammond

So I rm -rf'd the ~/.config and ~/.cache directories, logged out and in, adjusted the new panel as I wanted and logged out again saving the session.

Much like donaldbroatch's suggestion just with the ~/.config directory as well.

Problem solved, thanks for all the suggestions.

#6 2015-03-27 23:02:56

tpatt

My apologies for reviving an old thread, but I just had this issue in this week's build of jessie.  After install, I customized my panel, rebooted, and was greeted with no panel and a message that it was in kiosk mode when I started it manually.  I noticed by default, "Automatically save session on logout" is not checked.  After deleting contents of the ~./cache directory, it was restored.

My question is... is the default "uncheck" meant to be for kiosks?  Do I need that option checked if I want to keep my panel settings after logout/reboot since this is my primary home desktop?  Why would that not be default?  How do you save manually otherwise?

Last edited by tpatt (2015-03-27 23:03:57)

#7 2015-03-27 23:09:55

MountainDewManiac

I've never had that option checked/enabled. I was under the impression that, among other things, "Automatically save session on logout" would also reopen applications that were open when the user shut down (and I occasionally forget to close all open apps before turning off my computer). YMMV....

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#8 2015-03-27 23:14:36

tpatt

I was thinking that too, but is there another way to keep your panel settings and not automatically save the session?

Edit: I think I found it under the Session tab...  I'll tinker with it.

Last edited by tpatt (2015-03-27 23:16:01)

#9 2015-03-28 00:02:07

MountainDewManiac

That's a good question. Are there different "sets" of panel settings? I have three panels (top and bottom "double-height" full-length ones and a small one on the upper left side that just holds five large app launcher icons). They are all locked, set to auto-hide, and populated with various applets/indicators. I have never had to "save session" in order to ensure that they were as I wanted them each and every time I booted (and I would be more than a little put out if I did). Unless the "kiosk mode" stuff is separate in terms of what gets reset each time (without having that setting enabled), I would think there is an issue/bug somewhere in your system. But I'm NOT knowledgeable about the technical workings of Xfce, linux, or computers, lol - I just use them.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer