Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-05-27 21:35:53

jessejazza

Re: Is XFCe still in development?

kurisu wrote:

I would basically agree with user rene. MATE is indeed an alternate solution for bleeding-edge guys. Let us hope this project will keep up in the future. For my part, I will still stick to Xfce ;-)

I've just had a look at MATE... I must say it seems 'polished' and I do welcome another DE that's not 'boring blue'. I liked green when I tried opensuse once and liked Ubuntu's brown. Think there's only 2 or 3 DE that aren't blue. I like xfce but MATE for a change is welcome.

#27 2014-05-28 15:42:35

MountainDewManiac

But can't you change the color-scheme of a DE to suit?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#28 2014-05-28 21:46:01

cesar-rgon

Xfce is in progress. There are new commits every day.
http://git.xfce.org/

But, why they don't publish any news on the web?

I don't know

#29 2014-06-23 22:17:53

Jristz

cesar-rgon wrote:

Xfce is in progress. There are new commits every day.
http://git.xfce.org/

But, why they don't publish any news on the web?

I don't know

cause many of those commit are simply translations doing by an autoamagic script, you really wanna translations news in the web page??

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#30 2014-06-24 19:31:21

gxagar

I like MATE, but I LOVE XFCE.  A well utility appointed XFCE is at least as easily configured as MATE and has better artwork, icons, and themes.  Check out MX.  It has some GREAT lightweight utilities.

However, I don't care for the Whisker Menu, or the Mint Menu, or anything that makes me move my mouse to the right to pick a Category, and then back to the left to pick an App.  Then you have to scroll to find your app.  A menu should provide for moving  the mouse in one direction to navigate its heirarchy, and all Categories and Apps should be visible without scrolling.  I also don't see that the Whisker Menu natively provides a path to the Settings Manager, which is a much more convenient tool for initial setup than opening and closing individual settings. (Edit:  I found it.) The search box feature is nice, but doesn't offset these inconveniences.  I'm a one direction, no scrolling kind of guy.  The XFCE4 Applications Menu is the way to go.

I'm otherwise with most folks.  I wish the XFCE Devs would troll this forum more often.  There are sooooo many unsanswered posts and unsolved issues.  It would be nice if all posts were at least acknowledged.  Although, XFCE is not alone in this.  Many forums are this way.  I realize that forums are by nature a community self-help program.  But most of us selves are pretty helpless.  Therefore, I wish we were all better at responding to each other, with or without the Devs.

Last edited by gxagar (2014-06-24 22:18:29)

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

#31 2014-06-24 23:47:00

Jerry3904

I wrote to the dev Graeme Gott about that in the earlier stages of MX development, and he nicely answered that he has had many such requests and is intending to allow in the future the user to determine which column the categories go into. He added that he has it this way b/c then the cursor drops directly into the Favorites entries, making it easier most of the time.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#32 2014-07-05 00:17:43

Jristz

Actually the list of blockers bug for 4.12 is being setting, so a new release is soooon

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#33 2014-10-08 09:06:42

tkdchen

well, what is the big picture of XFCE to the future

#34 2014-10-10 21:41:52

the98

gxagar wrote:

However, I don't care for the Whisker Menu (...)

I know your post is old, but for the record, now Whisker Menu allows you to choose which side you want the categories on (left or right). You still have to deal with scrolling, but you can avoid this by choosing your favorite applications, and adding them to the Favorite section. This section is the one that naturally comes up when you access the menu. A pretty cool and comfortable feature. As for scrolling goes, once you have selected your favorite applications (which I suppose are the ones you use more often) you simply type the name of the one you need to access, and press ENTER as soon as it's first on the list.

I like XFCE's classic menu, but I think it needs and update. For instance, a Favorite section could be added. And a search bar where you type the name of the application would be nice too.

#35 2014-10-11 00:41:37

ozjd
Website

the98 wrote:

I like XFCE's classic menu, but I think it needs and update. For instance, a Favorite section could be added. And a search bar where you type the name of the application would be nice too.

There is also the Application Finder (xfce4-appfinder) which has a search facility as well as the conventional menu. It has a Bookmarks option which is like Favourites.

BTW thanks for mentioning the option in Whiskermenu to move the categories. I didn't know that one.

Last edited by ozjd (2014-10-11 00:42:45)

#36 2014-10-22 16:49:43

ubuntuaddicted

tkdchen wrote:

well, what is the big picture of XFCE to the future

yes, what is the news? why has the roadmap not been updated?

I enjoy gaming and Linux. Check out my Tech Blog
I livestream Linux gaming at Twitch OR Hitbox
I also make various kinds of videos on YouTube

#37 2014-10-22 20:53:29

MountainDewManiac

Maybe because they learned big-time what happens when you make projections that are too large and too far out?

It appears that the roadmap can best be written: "We're still working on 4.12 - but now we're actually working on it." There has been lots of updated code recently, as ToZ's post in this thread, the XFCE Developers' Email List, and the XFCE PPAs show. Maybe GitHub, too, IDK.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#38 2014-10-31 22:49:18

herbie643

XP users were on that for 10yrs+ and they are still using it and here we have a 2yr cycle and people are wondering.
Xfce Dev's should be proud of themselves for doing such a great job.
Xfce is so customizable, as I have done to mine, that it can be made to look absolutely great.
Xfdashboard by Stephan Haller is great.  Pops up like Gnome 3.  I use it and think it is just right.  Others might not think so and they may be using the Whisker Menu.
That works well as well.
So to have a 2yr release cycle from a DE that caters to the users, unlike another DE that will go unnamed.
Xfce seems to be the type of DE that releases when it is ready and not before.
Remember, they have limited resources while Microsoft is  multi-billion dollar company and the release Vista almost 9yrs after Xp.

Board footer