Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-03 16:25:18

WinRiddance
Website

Made a Mistake - Delete my Account please!

Honestly, this is probably the worst Linux related forum that I've been on during the past 5 years. No Avatars, slow responses, no explanations on various things XFCE related, no capitalized subjects to make issues stand out better, and no simple way to upload screenshots or images related to problems that a user may be experiencing. Makes me feel as though this forum is run by the Chinese or Russian Government? Whatever happened to freedom & personalization?

Coming here was a mistake. To avoid having dead links and missing images that I may have posted here in the future, please delete my account completely. The Avatar thing downright irritates me massively. How dare anyone tell me where and how to get my Avatar, or to tell me to sign up on yet another data mining site? That takes some real gall and it's unlike any other forum that I've ever been a part of. Everyone should have the right to have a personal avatar for their personal profile. Doesn't that go hand in hand with being part of a forum? (rhetorical, no need to answer)

All good forums, regardless what the topic is, allow for personal avatars and simple image uploads these days. If you can't afford the server space for thousands of images then maybe running a half baked forum just isn't such a good idea?
(400,000 images X 256KB each = 1 GB of server storage)
Thanks for your time.

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

#2 2014-01-03 22:26:48

ComputerBob
Website

Re: Made a Mistake - Delete my Account please!

I've actually found this forum to be very friendly and helpful. I've always come here to give and get help and information, and I've never been disappointed.

Personally, I couldn't care less about avatars.

Last edited by ComputerBob (2014-01-03 22:30:46)

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

#3 2014-01-04 01:42:50

Spect73

ComputerBob wrote:

I've actually found this forum to be very friendly and helpful. I've always come here to give and get help and information, and I've never been disappointed.

Personally, I couldn't care less about avatars.

Well spoken.  Then again, one would expect my agreement when one finds out I always keep my browser set to not download __any__ images.  Ah.... the sign of the times: give us eye candy, not content.

Coordially,
Spect73

Coordially,
Spect73

#4 2014-06-11 21:14:24

lulzicon

I think WinRiddance needs a group hug.

XFCE in general lacks a few "extra functions". And I admit the avatar thing is a little annoying, but so what it's not that big of a deal. XFCE is not one of those top DEs with the kitchen sink installed. It's small, easy to maintain, and designed for those that want simple.

As for the data mining thing, I use to say that if you didn't want to be data mined death was your only option, but that doesn't stop it anymore with all the "find a grave sites" poping up. An avatar is not going to data mine you anymore than a credit card company. Yes, these are problems, but if you can hand me a Howto Book on Building a Technological Society. I'll hand you back proof of Alien Life on other planets.

Relax WinRiddance and stay calm and think it through clearly. That's how we talking monkeys made it this far. And if you ask me, we're doing alright with the little bit that we got.

I don't know why people want to be so mad all the time....

You know what... Anybody that reads this, I DARE YOU to do this. Next time there is a waxing/waning moon I want you to go outside and look. Get it in your head that it is the Sun that is casting light in the moon and the shadow is the curve of the moon. So mentally place the Sun in its spot wtih the planet and moon, then mentally place yourself in your spot on the planet. Once you can do that, move outward, I mean, mentally find your spot inside the solar system with You, Earth , the Moon, and the Sun. Then move out to your spot in the Milky Way. Once you can do that think about the fact that that thing you just found can build airplanes and cars and computers and ask yourself, is it worth it for that thing you just found to go through it's life mad all the time?

Call me crazy, that's fine, maybe I am. But I'm happy!! Lighten up. It's not worth it. It make you miss out on the Good things.

#5 2014-06-13 00:53:30

ComputerBob
Website

lulzicon,

No point in digging up this dead thread. WinRiddance started this thread nearly 6 months ago, and hasn't posted here since January 3.

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

Board footer