Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-18 19:53:55

Sideburns
Website

Mounting disk images

I'm using Xfce 4.10 with Fedora 19.  One of the options in Thunar's context menu for a disk image file is to open it with Disk Image Mounter.  What's supposed to happen (according to the people at fedoraforum.org) is a new device appears in the side panel that you can then mount and explore.  Alas, this doesn't happen.  Checking from the command line with blkid I can see the new device, and it shows up under /dev/loop* but Thunar can't seem to "see" it.  Is this a bug or configuration error or something else?  Normally, I don't use the option to Browse Removable Media When Mounted because I don't always want or need that; sometimes, all I need is to check the free space or send a file there.  However, I tried checking it to see what would happen when I mounted a disk image: nothing.  I mention this only to prevent helpful people from suggesting something that I already know won't work.  I'm not sure, at this point, if the issue is with Fedora or Xfce, so I'm checking it from both sides in the hope that somebody at one of the two forums will be able to help me.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#2 2014-06-18 23:59:49

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Mounting disk images

Sideburns wrote:

I'm using Xfce 4.10 with Fedora 19.  One of the options in Thunar's context menu for a disk image file is to open it with Disk Image Mounter.

"Disk Image Mounter" isn't something that is packaged with Xfce. Do you know which package provides it?

What's supposed to happen (according to the people at fedoraforum.org) is a new device appears in the side panel that you can then mount and explore.  Alas, this doesn't happen.  Checking from the command line with blkid I can see the new device, and it shows up under /dev/loop* but Thunar can't seem to "see" it.  Is this a bug or configuration error or something else?  Normally, I don't use the option to Browse Removable Media When Mounted because I don't always want or need that; sometimes, all I need is to check the free space or send a file there.  However, I tried checking it to see what would happen when I mounted a disk image: nothing.  I mention this only to prevent helpful people from suggesting something that I already know won't work.  I'm not sure, at this point, if the issue is with Fedora or Xfce, so I'm checking it from both sides in the hope that somebody at one of the two forums will be able to help me.

I notice that if I use "sudo mount -t iso9660 -oloop..." or gvfsd-archive file=..." that it shows up in the sidebar (which makes me think that thunar checks mtab and/or gvfs to create mount icons in the sidebar). I've created a thunar custom action to mount using gvfsd-archive for this purpose.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-06-19 00:00:31)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-06-19 01:29:51

Sideburns
Website

I never said that it was an Xfce package; as it happens, it's part of gnome-disk-utility.  Where does gvfsd-archive come from?  Not only don't I have it, my package management system (yum) can't locate it, even when I ask it what package it comes from.

#4 2014-06-19 02:05:37

ToZ
Administrator

Sideburns wrote:

Where does gvfsd-archive come from?  Not only don't I have it, my package management system (yum) can't locate it, even when I ask it what package it comes from.

It's part of gvfs (Arch) and gvfs-backends (Xubuntu). The executable isn't in the normal path and is hidden somewhere in lib (/usr/lib/gvfs on Xubuntu).

I'm not that familiar with fedora, but according to https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/gvfs-archive, its a sub-package of gvfs? (not sure what that means)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-06-19 02:21:28

Sideburns
Website

OK, I have that package, so I guess I have gvfsd-archive.  I'll go back to the fedoraforum then, and see what I can get there.

Board footer