Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-30 12:58:58

debasish patra

How to compile with GTK3

Hi,
I see some applications are ported to GTK3 like xfce4-panel, but for testing how do I compile it with GTK3 Support.
Is it going to happen automatically or I have change some flag while compiling from git ?

Warm Regards, Debasish

#2 2014-07-30 13:42:20

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to compile with GTK3

xfce4-panel takes the "--enable-gtk3" configuration parameter. It needs to be manually added when compiling xfce4-panel.

I'm not sure if this will become default at some point in time in the future, but currently, you need to specify it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-07-30 16:43:27

debasish patra

ToZ wrote:

xfce4-panel takes the "--enable-gtk3" configuration parameter. It needs to be manually added when compiling xfce4-panel.

I'm not sure if this will become default at some point in time in the future, but currently, you need to specify it.

Thanks for your response Toz.
Do we pass this in autogen.sh file ? i tried that but the linker (ldd) still says that it is referring to gtk2 libraries.
Anything i need to take care of ?

Warm Regards, Debasish

#4 2014-07-30 18:13:14

ToZ
Administrator

Yes, pass it in the autogen.sh file. I use (building for Arch Linux - your distro may have other defaults):

./autogen.sh    --prefix=/usr \
                            --sysconfdir=/etc \
                            --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
                            --localstatedir=/var \
                            --disable-static \
                            --disable-debug \
                            --enable-gtk-doc \
                            --enable-gtk3 \
                            --enable-gio-unix

And at the end, I get:

Build Configuration:

* Debug Support:          no
* GNU Visibility:         yes
* GTK+ 3 Support:         yes

Make sure the gtk3 development libraries are installed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-07-30 21:06:31

MountainDewManiac

Would one need to do this to every XFCE component, so that the system as a whole would "play nice" with all its related bits?

Also, I heard some time ago - IDK if it was true or just Assn unfounded rumor - that when the GTK3 stuff gets updated, it can break things on a system. Is this true? If so, is this a concern for those who wish to use GTK3 with XFCE?

BtW, my gut instinct tells me that this is likely to be more along the lines of unfounded rumor than actual fact; reason being that Ubuntu uses GTK3, and I have not read about people abandoning it in droves (well, other than those who could not abide GNOME3, Unity, or those Ubuntu search things that were said to compromise the users' privacy... but those are pretty much a given by now and so I'd guess that the users who were going to leave for such a reason, had already left and, therefore, do not count for purposes of my discussion).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2014-07-30 21:48:49

ToZ
Administrator

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Would one need to do this to every XFCE component, so that the system as a whole would "play nice" with all its related bits?

Only the components that support GTK3. As of now, IIRC, that includes xfce4-panel, parole, mousepad, and xfce4-indicator-plugin.

Also, I heard some time ago - IDK if it was true or just Assn unfounded rumor - that when the GTK3 stuff gets updated, it can break things on a system. Is this true? If so, is this a concern for those who wish to use GTK3 with XFCE?

GTK3 updates tend mostly to break themes - they need to be re-written so they work with the newer version of GTK3. GTK3.12, however, introduced Client Side Decorations, which broke the window manager look of things. xfwm4 needs to be patched to support CSD (or the the gnome programmers need to stop enforcing Gnome3 changes on non-gnome window managers).

BtW, my gut instinct tells me that this is likely to be more along the lines of unfounded rumor than actual fact; reason being that Ubuntu uses GTK3, and I have not read about people abandoning it in droves (well, other than those who could not abide GNOME3, Unity, or those Ubuntu search things that were said to compromise the users' privacy... but those are pretty much a given by now and so I'd guess that the users who were going to leave for such a reason, had already left and, therefore, do not count for purposes of my discussion).

Ubuntu hasn't hit GTK3.12 yet. Not sure whether or not its planned for 14.10, but unless the CSD issues are resolved, there will be issues.

#7 2014-07-31 03:35:04

MountainDewManiac

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, then; GTK2 is working fine, AfaIK.

As always, ToZ, thank you for the knowledge.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#8 2014-07-31 03:47:04

debasish patra

ToZ wrote:

Yes, pass it in the autogen.sh file. I use (building for Arch Linux - your distro may have other defaults):

./autogen.sh    --prefix=/usr \
                            --sysconfdir=/etc \
                            --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
                            --localstatedir=/var \
                            --disable-static \
                            --disable-debug \
                            --enable-gtk-doc \
                            --enable-gtk3 \
                            --enable-gio-unix

And at the end, I get:

Build Configuration:

* Debug Support:          no
* GNU Visibility:         yes
* GTK+ 3 Support:         yes

Make sure the gtk3 development libraries are installed.

Hi Toz,
I had done as you mentioned i.e i had passed the --enable-gtk3 in the autogen.sh as you have shown.

[d@DArchLinux ~]$ ldd /usr/bin/xfce4-panel  | grep gtk
	libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f963d946000)
[d@DArchLinux ~]$ xfce4-panel -V
xfce4-panel 4.11.2git-fbc0dc8 (Xfce 4.10)

Copyright (c) 2004-2011
	The Xfce development team. All rights reserved.

Please report bugs to <http://bugzilla.xfce.org/>.

Is it using GTK3 or my understanding here is incorrect ?

Warm Regards, Debasish

#9 2014-07-31 04:09:37

ToZ
Administrator

My understanding of gtk3 support in xfce4-panel is that allows gtk3 plugins to work (xfce4-indicator-plugin, xfce4-notes-plugin). Perhaps its best to ask this question to the developers at the xfce4-dev mailing list? According to what I've read, gtk3 support in Xfce is experimental. A decision has yet to be made if and when the full port will happen.

What exactly are you trying to do with xfce4-panel and gtk3?

#10 2014-08-01 10:19:02

debasish patra

ToZ wrote:

My understanding of gtk3 support in xfce4-panel is that allows gtk3 plugins to work (xfce4-indicator-plugin, xfce4-notes-plugin). Perhaps its best to ask this question to the developers at the xfce4-dev mailing list? According to what I've read, gtk3 support in Xfce is experimental. A decision has yet to be made if and when the full port will happen.

What exactly are you trying to do with xfce4-panel and gtk3?

I was trying to see if gtk3 lib is used by the panel or not, then I can use gtk3 themes probably for panel. That is my understanding, which could be wrong.
I am patiently waiting for full port to happen like many others
Thanks for all the hard work from you guys. smile

Warm Regards, Debasish

Board footer