Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-30 10:29:23

diel

How to make built-in main menu as in Unity?

I have Ubuntu 14.04 installed on my laptop. Now I'm using Unity as my DE. Why? Because there is only 1,5 panels (0,5 for auto-hide left panel). If I maximize a window, its main menu and top panel (with title and buttons such as minimize or exit) is joining into one top panel. And I like it. Can I make something like this in Xfce? How?

#2 2014-07-30 20:45:52

MountainDewManiac

Re: How to make built-in main menu as in Unity?

At a guess, probably the easiest way would be for you to pick a theme which allows you to remove those aspects from your app windows, and then write a panel applet that specifically takes them on. You'd (guessing again) want to write your applet so that it is able to differentiate between multiple apps that are running at the same time, in order that it can discern which app is "on top." You could set it to use the criteria of, "Which app is maximized?" I suppose - but that wouldn't help if the user has more than one app maximized.

If you are not capable of writing such an applet - or simply do not have the time - you could always offer a bounty; you might (possibly) induce someone to write it for you for only $100.00US. That's probably pretty cheap as far as it goes (about what it costs to install a Microsoft OS on your system, lol?). Hopefully it'd be written in such a way that constant updates would not be required (IOW, written in such a way that it does not depend on any other code, which could change over time/updates, which might mean it'd no longer work with your applet).

Good luck,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2014-07-30 21:52:25

ToZ
Administrator

There is a panel applet that kind of does that already called xfce4-windowck-plugin. Its not part of the Xfce git tree, but it can be built to work with Xfce. I believe it also needs maximus installed to remove the title bar from the maximized window so that it only appears on the top panel.

There was also gnome2-globalmenu a while ago, but I don't think it works anymore.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2014-07-31 19:25:38

diel

Can I install it on Ubuntu 14.04 over PPA or from .deb package?

#5 2014-07-31 19:46:41

ToZ
Administrator

xfce4-windowck-plugin seems to exist at this PPA.

There is also a thread here on building it manually for 13.10, but the instructions should still work.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer