Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-22 01:10:45

Robsteady

Change Window Manager

I'm running XFCE 4.10 on Xubuntu 14.04. I've previously been able to edit ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml and switch from starting XFCE with XFWM to Compiz. As of a recent update it seems like the file has "blank" settings and I've been worried to just replace all the session lines to match how they used to be. I see in the settings editor where the call is for "xfwm4 --replace" and it is not editable. I browsed around with a whereis to see if a different file is used to store the setting for the window manager but all to no avail.

Long story short, I'm wondering if the settings file was moved or if there is just a way to switch to compiz as the window manager without needing to run compiz --replace at startup...

And thanks for all the awesome work, I've been a full-time XFCE user for close to a year now and I can't imagine being anywhere else.

#2 2014-07-22 03:16:32

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Change Window Manager

I don't use compiz myself to validate this, but there is some information in this post that talks about how to change that setting.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-07-22 06:44:24

Korrode
Website

Robsteady wrote:

As of a recent update it seems like the file has "blank" settings and I've been worried to just replace all the session lines to match how they used to be.

It is fine, just do:

cp /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

Then modify the file as you used to.

Remember to clear saved sessions prior to logging out after modifying it.

Rob McCathie - Manjaro Linux Team
http://manjaro.github.io/download/

#4 2014-08-05 01:48:41

Robsteady

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you! I had looked around a little but didn't find that other copy. Works as desired now.

Board footer