Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-29 17:20:38

VladimirVilimaits

For now, can we all agree on the fact that XFCE is an abandonware?

On github page, if we disregard translations, those are the only updates within last two weeks:
parole -  media player - removal of deprecated reference - 56 min ago
xfce4-panel - "Back to development" note - 7 days ago
xfce4-power-manager - Fix make distcheck - 23 hours ago
Why so? Can I hear a word from dev team about it? Will we see no updates to XFCE no more?

#2 2014-06-29 23:17:17

MountainDewManiac

Re: For now, can we all agree on the fact that XFCE is an abandonware?

Anyone know if this was a 'bot auto-post? Because most... organic trolls seem to have grown smart enough to make a few posts and wait a week - or at least a full day, lol - before they post their trollings.

In the event this thread wasn't started by one of those 'bots: Two weeks, huh? Wow, that's a long time. Come to think of it, my neighbor has been camping in the mountains for a couple of weeks, maybe I should go claim his house, since it must have been abandoned.

Here's a thought: The XFCE developers have an email list. It's not the world's most active mailing list, admittedly - but it is active. Why don't you join that and ask your question there?

With all... due respect,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2014-06-29 23:18:15)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2014-06-30 00:53:46

VladimirVilimaits

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Anyone know if this was a 'bot auto-post? Because most... organic trolls seem to have grown smart enough to make a few posts and wait a week - or at least a full day, lol - before they post their trollings.

Fantastic argument we have here.

MountainDewManiac wrote:

In the event this thread wasn't started by one of those 'bots: Two weeks, huh? Wow, that's a long time. Come to think of it, my neighbor has been camping in the mountains for a couple of weeks, maybe I should go claim his house, since it must have been abandoned.

Well, from this perspective - XFCE haven't been updated in two years - no any real news, github activity only consists out translations and insignificant tweaks. If my neighbor has been missing for two years I would have considered that he has dissappeared.

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Here's a thought: The XFCE developers have an email list. It's not the world's most active mailing list, admittedly - but it is active. Why don't you join that and ask your question there?

What's the difference.

#4 2014-06-30 02:19:19

ToZ
Administrator

@VladimirVilimaits, what are you expecting as an answer? If you search these forums, you'll find a few recent threads regarding the pace of Xfce development. You'll also find that there are some who would like quicker, more frequent changes, and others who are happy with the pace and direction.

If you are trying to get a hold of the developers, then MountainDewManiac is correct, contact them on the mailing list.

For now, can we all agree on the fact that XFCE is an abandonware?

This is admittedly a troll-like topic that isn't going to garner you many positive responses.

If you are looking for an answer to the question posted as your topic, no, I do not agree that it is "abandonware".

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-06-30 03:39:40

Magnus

There would need to be at least a year without commits before xfce is abandonware. There were some updates on the mailing lists for the last few months. This is the current status of xfce from one of the packagers:

I know that most of the Xfce core developers are currently busy with
real life and stuff like that. Few 4.11 releases were done, but as far
as I can tell we're not currently really ready to release 4.12: there
are stuff which I guess can be considered as blockers, like the upower
1.0 transition [1], (optional) support for logind, fallbacks etc.

#6 2014-06-30 05:41:03

eric_the_idiot

http://dpaste.com/3BG2QEQ is a list of all non-translation commits for the month of June. And yes, git.xfce.org always shows a lot of translation updates, that's not a bad thing, it just means the translators are awesome.

#7 2014-07-01 00:00:32

Sideburns
Website

Which would you prefer: a DE that is constantly changing, mostly for the sake of change itself, or one that is more interested in getting rid of bugs and/or making minor tweaks?  If constant change is what you want, there are several DEs that will give you that, but Xfce isn't one of them.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#8 2014-07-01 01:22:27

VladimirVilimaits

Sideburns wrote:

Which would you prefer: a DE that is constantly changing, mostly for the sake of change itself, or one that is more interested in getting rid of bugs and/or making minor tweaks?  If constant change is what you want, there are several DEs that will give you that, but Xfce isn't one of them.

Something in between like on any other normal DE.
Also, mail was unresponsive.

#9 2014-07-04 23:28:48

Magnus

It looks like 4.12 is close to feature freeze so it will be released soon, the goal is to release it for Debian Jessie.

#10 2014-08-12 06:07:15

Bazon

I like XFCE being stable. For me, it's almost perfect, so there is really no need for big changes.
And if you look to reactions to big changes (Gnome 3!, KDE4!, Windows 8! [haha..]), you will see there are many people who prefer stable software.

#11 2014-08-12 15:37:19

lottin

Exactly. Sure there is room for improvement, there are rough edges, work to do, but for the most part I think XFCE is done. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it well. Instead of complaining that XFCE has become "abandonware", why don't you tell us what features you think are missing or what bugs are annoying you? That would be a little more constructive.

#12 2014-08-13 06:58:23

rjdohnert
Website

No, XFCE is not abandonware.  While yes, the pace of development is slower than that of GNOME and KDE, XFCE is pretty robust as it is and very modular.  Looking forward to 4.12

Visit the OS/4 OpenLinux Project
http://www.os4online.com

#13 2014-08-13 11:04:30

jansucan
Website

I think, considering a width of the developer base, XFCE developers are doing really good job. Some other free-software projects could take an example from them - how to rationally weight resources and goals and adjust tempo of development (more) accordingly.

Board footer