Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-28 00:13:58

the98

XFCE and Qt: how crazy would that be?

After reading all the complications about GTK3, and with a lot of applications, such as the almighty Audacious thinking about migrating to Qt, I'm wondering weather XFCE team is thinking about migrating, and how crazy would that be.

I personally think that this change is impossible, or very very very very complicated. But, with the road GTK libraries are taking, is it really that crazy to think about that possibility?

Don't get me wrong, I love GTK, but I love GTK2, which is going to be obsolete in a few years. And I don't like GTK3 at all.

In the meantime, I've just read that LXDE is going to have a QT port: http://lxqt.org/

D:

Last edited by the98 (2014-06-28 00:14:53)

#2 2014-06-28 22:23:23

MountainDewManiac

Re: XFCE and Qt: how crazy would that be?

Why is it going to be obsolete? Will it quit working? Will it be incompatible with newer hardware? Does it have an expiration date, lol?

Or will they get to the point that they are no longer in danger of breaking things when they release a new version of GTK3, encourage people to switch to it, and work on creating the perception that GTK2 is obsolete?

Regards,
MDM

#3 2014-06-29 01:31:18

the98

Are you still using applications that run on GTK 1.0?

That's your answer right there. But discussing something obvious, like all developers moving towards GTK3 and leaving GTK2 behind (eventually), is not the point of this thread. I don't think it's a matter of GTK2 been obsolete, but something that just goes with the flow. I'm mean, do you XFCE can ignore the change and continue to be based on GTK2 while everything else isn't? :-/

#4 2014-06-30 03:44:04

Magnus

It's not going to happen as the devs have already began porting to GTK+ 3 and they are so busy (or lazy) they haven't gotten around to that yet.

#5 2014-06-30 15:57:17

the98

I wouldn't call someone that's giving you a fully operational desktop environment, that's completely free, "lazy".

#6 2014-06-30 17:13:27

MountainDewManiac

the98, I see a button to report a bad post, but no button to praise an excellent one. So: Kudos to you, sir (or ma'am, whichever applies).

Regards,
MDM

#7 2014-07-01 01:09:42

the98

Sir.

Thanks MDM. Regards.

#8 2014-07-01 10:30:13

IcyEyeG

I'd be even better if XFCE could collaborate with the LXQt team on this (just like LXDE and Razor-Qt joined forces). I'm not talking about a merger, but a strong common base. XFCE could still be XFCE, with its default programs and panel layout/plugins.

Last edited by IcyEyeG (2014-07-01 10:30:33)

#9 2014-07-01 20:08:54

gxagar

MDM,

+1 on your kudos to the98

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

#10 2014-07-04 19:58:19

IcyEyeG

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Why is it going to be obsolete? Will it quit working? Will it be incompatible with newer hardware? Does it have an expiration date, lol?

Or will they get to the point that they are no longer in danger of breaking things when they release a new version of GTK3, encourage people to switch to it, and work on creating the perception that GTK2 is obsolete?

Regards,
MDM

On that note, is GTK2 going to be ported to Wayland?

#11 2014-07-07 21:19:30

the98

IcyEyeG wrote:

I'd be even better if XFCE could collaborate with the LXQt team on this (just like LXDE and Razor-Qt joined forces). I'm not talking about a merger, but a strong common base. XFCE could still be XFCE, with its default programs and panel layout/plugins.

I don't agree, because LxQt can be its own thing, while XFCE is a totally different thing, even though they both share the same concept. I wouldn't mind seeing and migrating to a Qt version of XFCE, if this GTK inconsistencies keep going on (I hope not).

#12 2014-07-22 11:08:44

Korrode
Website

GTK2 is still maintained.

Last bugfix commit was 2 days ago:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=gtk-2-24

On a rolling release using GTK3 outside of Gnome is terrible. Personally i sincerely hope GTK2 support will remain, or Qt will be chosen over GTK3 as the new toolkit for Xfce.

I realise most people are on time-based releases and probably don't understand how screwed things get when GTK3 gets updated, but on a rolling-release, you know.

Rob McCathie - Manjaro Linux Team
http://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/

Xfce is the flagship environment for Manjaro. We strive to offer the most leading edge Xfce desktop experience.

#13 2014-08-12 00:45:18

Gabriel_M

I personally think that this option Xfce & Qt, is it really that crazy to think about that possibility!

#14 2014-08-17 10:46:34

jansucan
Website

I would be happy, if XFCE switched to Qt. But not necessarily to Qt - to any object-oriented toolkit which is practically usable in object-oriented development as well. This point from gtkmm FAQ on GTK is also my opinion:

Inheritance can be used to derive new widgets. The derivation of new widgets in GTK+ C code is so complicated and error prone that almost no C coders do it. As a C++ developer you know that derivation is an essential Object Orientated technique.

( https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gtkmm/FAQ )

And the question is how many of those who do it, do it right. That's also the reason why I quit maintaining mailwatch plugin. But I remain happy XFCE user because I didn't find a better DE for me yet.

#15 2014-08-27 05:28:00

rjdohnert
Website

With Black Lab Linux we are currently working on a certain degree of QT integration.  My goal is to get QT based apps and even some KDE apps to run without having to download the full KDE base.  So far we have had pretty good success with the Kpatience suit, Kontact and a few others but the work is onging.

Roberto J. Dohnert
Lead Developer
Black Lab Linux
http://www.blacklablinux.org

Visit the OS/4 OpenLinux Project
http://www.os4online.com

#16 2014-09-11 14:15:11

hacknix

Given the fact that I'm not a coder my opinion might not be that qualified, but nonetheless I have one. Considering that not even gtk3 support is fully implemented yet, and that gtk3 still changes a lot from version to version, also still breaks user themes, outside developers are not supported by gnome project etc.,  and at the same time people start to complain already about no wayland support in xfce, I assume moving completely to QT would be indeed a smart move especially for the future of xfce. I can't judge the practical implications of such an undertaking from the technical point of view, though.

#17 2014-09-14 08:17:17

Methos

I'm not into gtk, so I can't judge the difficulties migrating from gtk2 to gtk3. If it's really as complicated as it was mentioned, a switch to Qt may be discussable. But then I would say that a merge of lxqt and xfce is the only possible way. (Or at least a very strong cooperation of both projects.)
One shouldn't forget that the programming language behind gtk is C, while Qt's background is C++. These languages are completly different, so a switch to Qt would most likely involve a complete rewrite of xfce. And if I look to the momentary man-power of xfce and how much xfce is "already behind the schedule" releasing xfce 4.12, I don't think that a Qt version of xfce would be realistic.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
(Abraham Maslow)

Board footer