Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-27 07:12:22

mxsteini

keyboard shortcuts and volumebuttons

Today i had boot my laptop 3 times to get my keyboard shortcuts working.
More often the volumebuttons doesn't respond. (I don't need them so I dont't care)

Is there a way to reload keyboard things?
I tried xsettingsd --replace but that doesn't help.

I had that keyboard shortbut problem on my previous version:
xfce 4.11.x
on ubuntu 13.04 32bit

Today I'm running:
xfce 4.11.1 (revision 2b800f4)
on ubuntu 14.04 64bit

Hardware:
Dell D830
Mobile Intel® GMA X3100
with Intel dual core

#2 2014-08-28 00:38:42

ToZ
Administrator

Re: keyboard shortcuts and volumebuttons

Just a few comments/questions:

1. The command to replace an existing xfsettingsd instance is "xfsettingsd --replace" (note the 'f'). Not sure if that was a typo in your original post.

2. When the keyboard shortcuts are not working, is the xfsettingsd process running? You might also want to have a look at the ~/.cache/upstart/startxfce4.log file to see if there are any errors pertaining to xfsettingsd.

3. Instead of "xfsettingsd --replace", try running "xfsettingsd --no-daemon". This will display informational messages in the terminal window. You might get an error message that might indicate what is happening.

Usually when things like this start happening, the first thing I do is clear my sessions cache the manual way:
- log out
- go to the first tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1)
- clear the sessions cache (rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions)
- go back the gui (Ctrl+Alt+F7)
- login an test.
Occasionally, the sessions cache gets corrupted and strange things start happening. (I know that you can clear the sessions cache from Settings Manager >> Session and startup >> Sessions, but I always wonder whether it gets corrupted again during logout, so I prefer to to it manually when not logged into Xfce).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-08-28 07:01:25

mxsteini

Hi ToZ,
thanks for your reply.
1. it was a typo …
2. the xfsettingd was running - but next time will look after that file
3. I tried "--no-daemon" but I got no useful information
4. I removed that file and the shortcuts worked again. But I think I had one time that this doesn't help. Maybe I'm wrong.
This issue is like digging in dust ...
How is the logout procedure? Can I put everywhere an automatically rm?

Today shortcuts worked spontaneously - but volumebuttons doesn't ...
btw: xfce4-volumed is running

#4 2014-08-28 10:58:15

ToZ
Administrator

mxsteini wrote:

How is the logout procedure? Can I put everywhere an automatically rm?

Actually, just don't save your session when you log out. There are 2 places to check to ensure that you don't:
1. Settings Manager >> Session and Startup >> General tab >> "Automatically save session on logout.
2. The logout dialog box (there will be a checkbox prompt, make sure it is unchecked).
Note that there is a bug in the system that will save the sessions anyways if you use the Actions plugin to logout.

btw: xfce4-volumed is running

Does restarting xfce4-volumed make the volumebuttons work again?

killall xfce4-volumed && xfce4-volumed

Also, when either the regular keyboard shortcuts or media shortcuts don't work, is there anything interesting or related in ~/.cache/upstart/startxfce4.log?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-08-28 11:52:03

mxsteini

ToZ wrote:

Actually, just don't save your session when you log out. There are 2 places to check to ensure that you don't:
1. Settings Manager >> Session and Startup >> General tab >> "Automatically save session on logout.
2. The logout dialog box (there will be a checkbox prompt, make sure it is unchecked).

I never save my sessions. I hate saved session ...

Note that there is a bug in the system that will save the sessions anyways if you use the Actions plugin to logout.

Though the problem is in xfce I don't want to delegate that problem to xfce. I think about more deeper mechnism like .bashrc.

Does restarting xfce4-volumed make the volumebuttons work again?

restarting xfce4-volumed has no effect

Also, when either the regular keyboard shortcuts or media shortcuts don't work, is there anything interesting or related in ~/.cache/upstart/startxfce4.log?

Nothing interesting in the log-file.

Board footer