Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-09-06 18:01:24

Jerry3904

Re: Nautilus instead of Thunar

My opinion still remains that it's not very intuitive, but that doesn't mean that everyone would think so.

Funny, I hold the opposite opinion. Right-click is the magic tool...

Not sure if it would help you, but we have a "QuickStart" document that tries to get new users started with basics, along with other Docs on customization, etc. (some of which is particular of course to MX-14):

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/doc_mx/

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2014-09-06 18:01:52)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#27 2014-09-06 21:32:35

MountainDewManiac

I didn't mean to give that impression. I was just trying to convey my surprise.

Oh, and about "intuitive." Do you mean "not natural," or "not the way it was in my last OS?" Sometimes we confuse the two definitions. If the latter, perhaps there was some learning required with the previous OS, as well? I think the worst thing people can do is to assume that linux is enough like another OS that the same learned knowledge applies. I've done it, myself, and I wasn't always aware that I was. I read something called "Linux Is Not Windows," and it remind me that they are two different things and that any resemblance between the two its, as they say, purely coincidental (lol).

With that being said... Some things probably aren't intuitive in linux. There are various standards, but as anyone can develop, change, fork... There is no rule that states people have to follow them. And, often, an app is developed by someone for their own use and convenience. They may release it for public consumption, but as they're not trying to "sell" anything, they don't have a compelling reason to make their work fit someone else's mold, so to speak. (While Microsoft and Apple are concerned with market share and can probably tell you to the unit how many (legal) users of their product there are, the makers of most linux distros probably don't even have a guess as to how many people use their products).

Also, linux is about choice. There are various desktop environments (XFCE, GNOME, KDE, et cetera) and probably hundreds of distros, and they probably do certain things differently. That can be daunting, but the good news is that it raises the chances that any given user can (eventually, lol) find the combination that is perfect for them.

Err, sorry, I'm rambling again. So I'll end this and just say welcome to the world of linux and that I hope that the transition is generally a smooth one.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#28 2014-09-06 22:25:28

sixwingsfire

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I didn't mean to give that impression. I was just trying to convey my surprise.

Oh, and about "intuitive." Do you mean "not natural," or "not the way it was in my last OS?" Sometimes we confuse the two definitions.

Yes I do think you may be right... it may just be where I am sooo ingrained with windows. Once I get adjusted I may well find that it is more intuitive than I realize. I'm very late into the game since I started on DOS and was programming in Basic back in the 1980s and have grown up with each windows version since. I was very excited when my 1st computer could display 16 colors on screen at once. smile Tandy Color Computer 3

This old dog is trying to learn new tricks!

Jerry3904 wrote:

Funny, I hold the opposite opinion. Right-click is the magic tool...

Not sure if it would help you, but we have a "QuickStart" document that tries to get new users started with basics, along with other Docs on customization, etc. (some of which is particular of course to MX-14):

See my above comment to MountainDewManiac about "intuitive". I may change my mind soon, and find that you are right. As for the right click.... yes it's powers are great but I'm not sure it applies for this problem lol. However, just knowing where to find the "Preferred Applications" settings seems to do the trick, at least in this version of Xfce.
Thanks very much for the link! I'll be going there right now smile

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

This discussion seems solved to me.... but the original poster may be MIA since it's been a couple years....

Board footer