Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-09-07 14:37:22

g_e_o_db

Re: xfce 4.10 keeps on saving session

same here! I had to change the ~/cache/sessions permissions to read only to avoid saving the session every time. It is a quite annoying bug.

#27 2014-09-08 14:23:46

pilatus

For me, the problem went away after a new install with a clean /home/ directory.
Xubuntu 14.04,  kernel 3.13.0-35-generic  x86_64.

#28 2014-10-21 17:13:58

cworth

Hi - I investigated this today - using 4.10.1-8 (according to Debian sid package manager):

1) uncheck Automatically Save Seesion On Logout in Settings->Session and Startup
2) logout
3) From tty2: rm -r ~/.cache/sessions/*
4) login
5) open firefox
6) from xterm: xfce4-logout --logout
  Result: session IS saved
  or
6) from xterm: xfce4-logout --fast --logout
  Result: session IS NOT saved
  or
6) from panel: Logout, uncheck "Save session for future logins"
  Result: session IS NOT saved

So, looks good on my version!  If you're panel logout is broken for some reason, can always make a custom launcher for --fast logout command.  Also, make sure to remove ~/.cache/sessions/* after logout once.

#29 2014-11-18 14:40:46

rworkman

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7930 has a patch attached - please try it out and see if it helps or hurts (or perhaps has no effect).

#30 2014-11-19 22:36:49

andrzejr

Should be fixed in master. Please let me know if the issue persists.

#31 2015-07-28 12:29:26

alroger
Website

Amazing... still the same problem in Xubuntu 15.04.
Every new version that install I still I have to search for this again to remember where the session is stored and remove it manually.
Makes booting up a mess, with all kinds of stuffing poping up and apparmor accumulating errors. Very ugly.

Last edited by alroger (2015-07-28 12:31:25)

#32 2015-07-28 23:05:52

MountainDewManiac

alroger wrote:

Xubuntu

There's your problem, lol.

But seriously, if it bothers you, why not try one of the distros that do not appear to have this issue? If you like the "format" of the *buntus, the ability to add PPAs to your sources, the .deb packaging format (but do not wish to switch to Debian or a (more directly) Debian-based distro, try one of the ones that are based on Ubuntu. IIRC, I once read that the developers of such distros probably spent more time dealing with bugs that Ubuntu let slip through - I won't say "or created" because others have and I don't have anywhere near the technical expertise required to even have an opinion - than they have on their own customization.

Which is not to say that such distros have no bugs. I use Mint and have read about some issues (thankfully, none that have affected me <KNOCKS ON WOOD>) with it, for example. I assume that they cherry-pick certain bugs/issues to focus on; or, perhaps, some of them are tied into components/files that they have decided to utilize even though this means there will be issues, IDK. I did read something - about Bluetooth - that Clem (Mint's chief developer) wasn't happy with because of issues, so he/etc. have been working on an alternate. Things like that. I am assuming that the Ubuntu developers attempt the same things as far as Debian is concerned, but that's speculation (as is much of this post). Maybe... Maybe, lol, the best thing to do would be to investigate a distro that is built on a distro that is built on a distro that is... To the point that, each set of developers having dealt with some portion of bugs/issues until they are all gone? But that doesn't feel like a profitable venture to me for a variety of reasons (not least among them being that it means there'd be a great many people involved in creating your OS and it's all well and good to say that the majority of h. sapien can be trusted but how does one know that every single one of those people rank amongst that majority? IDK...).

Regards - and good luck with finding a distro that doesn't give you so much annoyance,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer