Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-11 13:51:04

inukaze

Composite Manager - Xfwm4 - How i can disable in specific windows ?

Hi there , i wanna know

How i can made to disable the "Composite" in some Windows Applications.

Because when i have a Skype Windows with Video Chat , when i focus the chat window , in the video window , are
very transparent , but i dont like it in skype video window.

You can tell me , how i can disable the Compiste effect just in Skype.

#2 2014-08-11 15:26:52

robert3242

Re: Composite Manager - Xfwm4 - How i can disable in specific windows ?

The short answer is that I don't think you can do that. Someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that enabling compositing is an either/or proposition. If it is enabled, it affects everything. There is no middle ground here for specific windows or apps.

Debian 7.7 amd64/Xfce 4.8

#3 2014-08-11 19:26:57

MountainDewManiac

I think composting is either on or off, system-wide. But window transparency... You used to be able to adjust that for each window by placing your mouse cursor on the window, holding down the ALT key, and using your scroll wheel (or scroll function on a laptop mouse-substitute). Now, though, you get some kind of weird zoom "whole-screen zoom" effect that even I, with very poor vision, cannot stand. And not just because whatever genius that came up with it either removed or changed the way to adjust window-transparency on-the-fly, but also because it zooms in such a way that window controls shoot way the <censored> over into the next country instead of remaining on the screen where they belong in every situation other than a "user asked the app to go to fullscreen mode" one. Additionally, for the large number of users who have laptops and use their "mousepads," a small flick of the finger zooms everything so far that he/she is then looking at individual pixels that are larger than the nails on that user's thumb. Yeah, that's real useful. (If you think my words are harsh, lol: I'd tell you what I really think about this zoom anti-feature, but I'd surely get banned for doing so.)

If you find a way to get the activity back to its former behavior of quickly and easily adjusting individual window's transparency, please post it. I'd be very grateful.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2014-08-12 01:45:48

ozjd
Website

You can do a temporary disable which lasts until you close the window in question. I use this in Gimp so the image window stays opaque while a tool window has focus. See https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6261

It doesn't fix your problem but is a workaround. I added a launcher to a panel with that command and click it, the cursor changes and then click the window.

#5 2014-08-12 02:35:22

ToZ
Administrator

@MountainDewManiac, if you go to Settings Manager >> Window Manager Tweaks >> Accessibility and change "Key used to grab and move windows" away from ALT (to say Control), then this will restore the window transpareny affect with the scroll mouse (if you Alt+scroll on the window title bar). You can then use Ctrl+zoom to zoom the desktop view.

This also affects other window operations, namely now requiring that you use Ctrl to grab and move windows.

EDIT: Just remembered what I didn't like about this change. Changing this key to "Control" breaks Control key multi-select in applications. Ugh.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2014-09-09 22:12:20

herbie643

i know it has been a while but I just now saw your post.  Perhaps if you look at

man compton

There are all kinds of options and perhaps the sample at the end of man page will give you a clue on how to do what you want.

#7 2014-09-22 21:44:42

PeterR

As ToZ recently directed me to for a similar issue, look at #3 in this thread. As a workaround for your skype issue, it should be a good solution.

Board footer