Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-15 22:35:04

TaranakiCathedral

[Solved] Problems following system updates.

Hi,
since last week's system updates I have been encountering some unwanted changes of behaviour: I'm not sure which of these are XFCE and which are OpenSuse.

1) Login screen: The login screen used to list all the users (except root) + other, so you clicked then typed the appropriate password. The layout of the pane hasn't changed, but now it only shows "other" and you have to type in username, press return and then type password.
Fortunately I'd encountered this type of login on another Linux distro, but it has totally flummoxed the volunteers who use my computer on days I'm not working.
Can I restore the listing of users? I can't see any setting in preferences manager.

2) Dual head:
My dual head script is running at logon, but failing because "there is no output at VGA1" - So I'm left with the same (or truncated) display on two different-resolution screens.

Script is:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VIRTUAL1 --off --output LVDS1 --mode 1366x768 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 1366x0 --rotate normal
synclient touchpadOff=1

(note that the touchpad command hasn't ever worked as part of this script - I've had to open a console and enter it manually)

Most of my linux experience has been with CLI webservers, so I'm a desktop newbie.

XFCE 4.10

Richard

#2 2014-09-15 22:51:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Problems following system updates.

Hi.

1. Login screen: Xfce doesn't ship a display manager, which by the sounds of it, seems to be what has changed. This would be distro-specific. Probably best to ask on the opensuse forums (or a forum/mailing list specific to the display manager that you are using).

2. Startup script: How does this script run at login? Do you have it in Settings Manager >> Session and Startup >> Application Autostart? If so, change the script to read:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VIRTUAL1 --off --output LVDS1 --mode 1366x768 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 1366x0 --rotate normal > /tmp/login.log 2>&1
synclient touchpadOff=1 >> /tmp/login.log 2>&1

...then after logging in, review the /tmp/login.log file to see what messages are being generated.

If on the other hand, this is being setup through the display manager, then you'll have to follow up with the appropriate distro forum as per the previous point.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-09-15 23:20:40

TaranakiCathedral

Thank you.

yes, the script is run via Application Autostart. When I run it manually the response is:

warning: output LVDS1 not found; ignoring
warning: output VGA1 not found; ignoring

I will ask on the OpenSuse forum. Does my display manager refer to Gnome?

Richard

#4 2014-09-16 03:03:43

MountainDewManiac

I'm just guessing because that is not the distro that I use, but youyour display manager is probably mdm (no relation), gdm, or ldm. Look in menu / system for something that includes one of those in its name or for something called "Login Window" or similar.

If I run Login Window on my distro and change from html to gdm, then the list of "themes" grows to many choices, some of which display the list of users, some of which do not. On my system, the ones that do have "userlist" in their name. YMMV, of course.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2014-09-16 22:13:03

TaranakiCathedral

FYI, it is a bug with the recent Gnome stack update not supporting human user ids below 1000.

My dual screen problems fixed themselves today.

Board footer