Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-20 17:14:56

Gotolei

Power Manager not handling low battery

Xubuntu 14.04

I have it set to suspend when the battery runs low. Instead it just runs the battery completely dry.
The laptop was unattended at the time, so I'm not sure if it set off any notifications or not.

This isn't the first time I've had problems with xfce4-power-manager.. previously I've had to hack around some config files to get lid closing to not trigger suspend because the config on xfce's side did nothing.
Seems like most of its settings don't actually do anything?
How are the behaviors actually managed, and where are the settings for it?

Settings:
https://imgur.com/a/cI7Ge

raster@meridian:~$ pidof xfce4-power-manager
raster@meridian:~$ xfce4-power-manager --dump
---------------------------------------------------
       Xfce power manager version 1.2.0
With policykit support
With network manager support
With DPMS support
---------------------------------------------------
Can suspend: True
Can hibernate: True
Can spin down hard disks: True
Authorized to suspend: True
Authorized to hibernate: False
Authorized to shutdown: True
Authorized to spin down hard disks: False
Has battery: True
Has brightness panel: True
Has power button: True
Has hibernate button: True
Has sleep button: True
Has LID: True

Somewhat of a secondary issue, but how do I authorize the power manager to hibernate?
(also this laptop has neither a hibernate nor a sleep button, but since that doesn't seem to be causing any problems I'm just going to ignore it)

Last edited by Gotolei (2014-09-20 17:27:26)

#2 2014-09-20 20:49:44

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Power Manager not handling low battery

I have it set to suspend when the battery runs low. Instead it just runs the battery completely dry.

It would be best to create a launchpad bug report for this. I'll see what happens with my system (I'm running the new version 1.4 of the power manager) to see if its a bug that persists in the new versions. Ubuntu has been gradually implementing systemd functionality into their distro over time. For 14.04, they shipped the version of xfce4-power-manager that didn't yet support systemd. This has been/will be corrected in 14.10 (Utopic). Unfortunately, these issues persist in 14.04 and you have to resort to workarounds. I'm not sure if they will backport the new version of xfce4-power-manager to 14.04 (trusty), but there is a PPA with version 1.4. I haven't installed this version myself so use at your own discretion.

Somewhat of a secondary issue, but how do I authorize the power manager to hibernate?

Instructions can be found here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer