Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-09 22:56:10

Digger
Website

Trash Behaving Differently in 4.8 As Compared to 4.6

I'm trying to get some insight into a little problem I'm having with Thunar's Trash function.

I have two SSD's.  The root partition ("/" (ext4)) is on sda.  I have two partitions on sdb:

/home/user (ext4)

/home/user/one/two/three (FAT16)

Under both versions of xfce under discussion here (4.6 and 4.8), the trash function works as desired for all but the FAT16 partiion.

Now, under xfce 4.6, if I trashed a file in the FAT16 partition, said file went to the $XDG_DATA_HOME/Trash directory (which, in my case, was /home/user/.local/Trash).  While a bit odd, this behavior was highly desired by me in this application, as I did NOT desire that there be Trash folders on this partition.

Said behavior is supported by the latest FreeDesktop.org Trash Specification, by the way:

The implementation MAY also support trashing files from the rest of the system (including other partitions, shared network resources, and removable devices) into the “home trash” directory . This is a “failsafe” method: trashing works for all file locations, the user can not fill up any space except the home directory, and as other users generally do not have access to it, no security issues arise.

Life was good!

Then, I loaded xfce4 v.4.8 (as part of a Debian Wheezy implementation).  Now, when I trash a file in the FAT16 partion, a trash folder is created in the FAT16 partition.  This behavior is NOT desired by me in this partition!  I've fooled around with fstab settings, but am getting nowhere....

How can I get my FAT16 partition trash to act like it did back when I was using xfce4 v.4.6?

I'd appreciate any insight.  TIA!

Last edited by Digger (2014-10-09 22:58:36)

Xfce 4.6.2; Debian Squeeze

#2 2014-10-10 11:57:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Trash Behaving Differently in 4.8 As Compared to 4.6

To follow on from the quote you posted from the Trash spec, the next three lines read:

However, this solution leads to costly file copying (between partitions, over the network, from a removable device, etc.) A delay instead of a quick “delete” operation can be unpleasant to users.

An implementation may choose not to support trashing in some of these cases (notably on network resources and removable devices). This is what some well known operating systems do.

It may also choose to provide trashing in the “top directories” of some or all mounted resources.

I guess that Thunar (or probably more accurately, gvfs) has decided to implement trashing at the "top directories" level of mounted resources. This bug report looks like its kind of related (including a link to a gvfs bug report).

There is also this debian bug report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer