Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-14 03:18:13

John_Jason_Jordan

[Solved] Polytonic Greek keyboard no longer working

I had it working fine in Xubuntu 13.10, but a couple weeks after 14.04.1 came out I did a fresh install. I set up the polytonic Greek keyboard at that time, but never used it as it was summer and I was not in classes. Now it's fall and I went to use it again only to discover that the diacritic keys are not working as they used to. On a US English keyboard the diacritic keys are the two keys to the right of the l and the two keys to the right of the p. It used to be that these were dead keys, that is, you typed the diacritic key and nothing happened, then you typed a vowel and the diacritic you typed appeared on the vowel. Now these keys just type the diacritic directly. I get the same behavior whether I use the physical keyboard or Onboard on-screen keyboard.

I went into Settings Manager to see if there might be something wrong with the way I set up the keyboard, but "Keyboard" is now completely missing from the Settings Manager GUI. So is "Input Method." The missing items might be related to the first problem, but I need some clues. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Linguistics on Linux!

#2 2014-10-19 16:54:14

John_Jason_Jordan

Re: [Solved] Polytonic Greek keyboard no longer working

It took a lot of googling but I finally found the problem. In Xubuntu 14.04.1 they removed Ibus from the default installation. (Apparently there were dome problems with it.) I installed it with Synaptic, which installed some dependencies also. I didn't install any additional packages beyond the dependencies that Synaptic required. The polytonic Greek keyboard still didn't work, but afte rebooting all is now back to normal. I'm just posting this in case someone else runs across the same problem.

Linguistics on Linux!

Board footer