Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-25 09:18:02

marsdenf

[Solved] Xubuntu 12.04 login fail

Using Xubuntu 12.04 on a desktop.  It was working fine for many months, but then suddenly I was unable to login to Xubuntu.  After entering the password, the screen goes black and then it goes back to the login screen.  Repeatedly entering the password gets the same result.  I was able to get a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F2) at the login screen and was able to create a second user.  I added the second user to sudo and adm.  I am able to login to Xubuntu using the second user.  Posted this problem also at alt.os.linux.ubuntu newsgroup and they said this probably means there is something wrong with the original user profile.  How to use the new user to repair the profile of the original one?  Please note, I know almost nothing about the command line and the inner workings of Xubuntu. (In the progress made so far, I have been just following instructions at the news group.)

#2 2014-10-25 13:01:31

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Xubuntu 12.04 login fail

Sounds like you can log in as your problem user on a virtual terminal. When you do, have a look at the ownership of your ~/.Xauthority and ~/,ICEAuthority files in your home directory. Sometimes, the ownership changes to root (usually the result of using sudo with graphical apps) and then you lose your ability to log in:

ls -al ~/.Xauthority
ls -al ~/.ICEauthority

If they are not owned by your user, then simply delete them (they will be re-created when needed) using root privileges:

sudo rm ~/.XAuthority
sudo rm ~/.ICEauthority

...and try logging into the graphical session again.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-10-25 13:31:02

marsdenf

Re: [Solved] Xubuntu 12.04 login fail

Thank you!  That worked.  Xauthority was owned by root, so I deleted it.  Now I can login to my original user.

Board footer