Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-30 16:08:10

UnMamouth

Panel overlapping maximized windows when in dual monitor

Hello.

I am using a Dell Latitude E6400 with Linux Mint 17 (XFCE 4.10) upgraded from Linux Mint 16.
I have a dual monitor : the laptop's monitor and an external monitor (HP S2231a).
They are in a non-mirror set-up.

There is one little annoying issue : maximized windows over the panels (taskbar).

This problem does not happen when I boot up without the external monitor.
Then, my panel is set-up so that windows cannot be over the panel.

When I have 2 monitors, set-up with one above the other (instead of left-right of each other for example), the windows that I maximize in the top monitor (the external one) have their bottom hidden under the panel.
In the other monitor (the laptop's one, below the external one), maximized windows do not span to the actual bottom of the available space, i.e. there is a gap between the panel and the bottom of the window.

o5b7ti.png
As you can see, in the top monitor, one can not see the bottom of the LibreOffice window, while it is possible in the bottom window, with the gap.

I have understood that this gap actually matches the width difference between the panel of the top monitor (wider) and the bottom one (narrower), and indeed, if I change the width of the bottom panel in order that it is equal to the width of the top panel, the gap disappears.

But I still have the issue of being unable to reach the bottom of the maximized windows in the top monitor. It is not a huge issue, but still annoyiong as some of the controls for many softwares are located there. I have to resize by hand all maximized windows.

I would keenly take any solution or collaborate with the developpers for debugging.

#2 2014-10-30 17:28:05

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel overlapping maximized windows when in dual monitor

Not sure I can offer much in the way of assistance other than to confirm that I see the same here when I try to duplicate your setup. Interestingly though, I don't get the gap on the lower monitor. I also notice that if I move that panel to either the top of that window or to the sides, then the window maximizes properly. It seems to be a bug only when the panel is at the bottom.

Just searched the bug tracker and found a similar bug report. It might be best to add to that report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-08 12:58:13

UnMamouth

Hi.

Thanks for the help. I just added my comments to the item in Bugzilla.
However, I have noticed now that when I am booting without the second monitor, I have the issue of the maximized windows being overlapped by the taskbar, which I think did not happen before...
Pb_bords_de_fen_tres.jpg

#4 2014-11-08 13:19:06

ToZ
Administrator

Make sure that "Don't reserve space on borders" is unchecked in the Panel Properties on the Display tab.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-11-08 13:29:26

sixsixfive
Website

also as temporary fix you can use openbox with screen margins

2014-11-08-1424082646x1024scrot.png

using openbox has also other advantages eg better window control an better icccm compatibility etc.

#6 2014-11-10 09:42:07

UnMamouth

ToZ wrote:

Make sure that "Don't reserve space on borders" is unchecked in the Panel Properties on the Display tab.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is unchecked.

Board footer