Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-31 15:49:57

lnx64

Thunar not loading set app for file type

This one is odd, and I did a lot of research to no avail.  Something messed up on the upgrade to Xubuntu 14.10 I think here.

For example, I have a PDF in a folder in Documents.  If I right click it and go to properties, it says Evince is the app that'll load.  If I double click the file though, Gimp loads.  In fact, if I right-click it does show Gimp is the top default app, despite what Properties says.

On my desktop it's got another issue too.  On the desktop, same thing, PDF says to open with Evince in Properties, but Gimp in right-click menu, however, double clicking DOES open Evince.

I'm lost on this, I think there's some kind of syncing issue between file types here..  I'm completely down for wiping out thunars configuration if need be.

#2 2014-10-31 16:14:58

Jerry3904

Re: Thunar not loading set app for file type

I don't use Ubu, but did you try just right-clicking any PDF file > Open With Other Application, selecting Evince, making sure the box is checked for Use as Default... and clicking Open? Normally, that is enabled system-wide in my experience.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2014-10-31 16:36:20

lnx64

Didn't work.  I would use another distro but getting wifi to work on this laptop is far too much of a hassle.

Here's a video of what it's doing.  I mean the checkbox to set default doesn't set default, but the window that one time will open the right app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaDXdQd7x_Y

Please excuse the language on the TV if anyone gets offended, Samuel Jackson was on the screen.

#4 2014-10-31 16:43:21

Jerry3904

We have no such problems with MX-14, just sayin' ...

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2014-10-31 17:41:58

lnx64

Good for you. Doesn't help me much though. I'd rather not have to fist fight the broadcom driver to work.

#6 2014-10-31 17:54:23

ToZ
Administrator

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2014-11-01 01:33:54

MountainDewManiac

lnx64 wrote:

I'd rather not have to fist fight the broadcom driver to work.

I don't know about the distro that was mentioned, but I have installed Mint (and am assuming that other distros were similar) to both old (way old, lol) and newer laptops that use a Broadcom WiFi chipset. In the case of the older ones, I just had to blacklist the onboard driver(?) so that the system wouldn't use it and then install the one that worked. That was because the hardware turned out to be "revision 1" and I guess they don't expect people running laptops built 10-12 years ago to install new operating systems roll . The newer ones worked out of the box - I guess Broadcom support might be built into the kernel now, IDK.

The only fistfights were finding a network whose owner allowed me to plug an Ethernet cable into the router for a wired connection to download and, err, the one I had with myself for not writing the directions down and grabbing the files beforehand when I had working WiFi previous to the distro change - and I can't blame others for my lack of intelligence on that one.

That doesn't help you with your current issue, of course, but there are options. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea (if you wanted to change/update distros) to install the new distro on a separate partition (shrinking a current one for space if necessary, it shouldn't take much) alongside your mostly(?) working one just in case. You can always recover the space later.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#8 2014-11-01 05:21:33

lnx64

Well, Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian.  Both Debian and Ubuntu have this wonderfully foolish bug, but how can you garantee that an up to date Mint installation doesn't have it too then?

#9 2014-11-01 08:26:54

MountainDewManiac

Probably because when I double-click on a .PDF file from within Thunar, I see that .PDF in a readable form in Evince instead of in GIMP roll .

I don't seem to have much in the way of problems with my distro. Guys like Clem Lefebvre (Mint) and Glen "TheeMahn" Cady (Ultimate Edition) who build their distros upon other ones seem to think it's a good idea to fix the problems that the "base-distro" has when doing so, probably because annoying little issues like the above are half the reason that people end up trying their distros in the first place. I figure that most distro-developers have that attitude. Well... Except for the ones that develop Ubuntu, of course.

There's a reason that I've never bothered to learn how to compile applications and only occasionally use a terminal. It's because I pick a good distro that doesn't have much in the way of issues.

Again, it's pretty easy to install a new/different linux distro on your system before expunging your old/current one. If you're having issues with the one that you're using now, try a different one. They're free, lol.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2014-11-01 08:29:32)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#10 2014-11-01 18:57:00

sixsixfive
Website

remove the pdf entry from ~/.config/mimeapps.list or better remove the whole file, at least this is how it works here on debian... wink

Last edited by sixsixfive (2014-11-01 18:57:48)

Board footer