Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-31 06:20:41

Deadboots

Small issue with app finder

I just installed xfce over an Arch Linux build, and I'm loving it. Today I finally configured my desktop exactly the way I had imagined it, and then I ran into a small snag...

Let me preface this by saying that I am pretty anal when it comes to how my DE operates. It's still perfectly usable in this state, and I understand that - but this is bugging me.

I use xfce's native app finder extensively to launch most of the programs I use on a daily basis. Recently, the app finder started appending a dash to Thunar (it now shows up as "thunar-") when I type the first characters. It's honestly not a huge deal, but Thunar won't launch correctly when I hit enter due to the dash. I have to clear the dash manually to get it to launch properly. I've tried clearing my session data, clearing custom commands (though that probably doesn't have anything to do with it), and just about everything I can think of or see within the GUI that might have to do with stored commands/text.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

#2 2014-10-31 10:40:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Small issue with app finder

Do you still have a desktop file for thunar? In the appfinder, click the down arrow and see if the thunar entry still exists. As I understand it, it should find thunar first if the entry exists. If it doesn't, then it will look for the next matching entry and since it might be one of:
- thunar-volman-settings
- thunar-settings
- thunar-volman
...it might auto-complete to "thunar-"

I can't replicate this myself on my arch system, but its the one thing that comes to mind.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-10-31 16:36:02

Deadboots

Re: Small issue with app finder

That's gotta be it. I just deleted most of my app menu entries thinking that it wouldn't affect the finder's ability to find applications. I guess it pulls its autocompletion directly from app menu entries. I'll reset the menu and let you know what happens.

Thanks so much! I feel like an idiot now, heh.

EDIT: Yep, deleting Thunar's entry in ~/.local/share/applications/ worked. Thanks again!

Last edited by Deadboots (2014-10-31 17:02:35)

Board footer