Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-10 02:08:02

lnx64

Hello from Florida

Ok so I haven't actually introduced myself, and I figured I would.

I have been a computer user since I was 5 years old, using MS-DOS 3, and BASIC (or in this case, cassette BASIC).  I have always had a keen interest of electronics, and at the age of 8, made a functional FM radio on a cork board on the wall.  I had no education whatsoever, I just was able to figure it out..  I have been a linux user since Mandrake 7.0, but have also used Windows, and Mac OS both at the same time.  At an early age I have been very interested in all the different operating systems out there, even trying QNX and BeOS.  The first window manager I ever loved to death was Common Desktop Environment.  But on Linux, I never even knew Xfce existed, it completely slipped my mind.  Had I known that in the past that Xfce was kind of like a CDE clone for Linux, I'd have used it immediately.  Instead I used KDE, until Gnome 2 came out, and then Unity.  Now these days, I am starting to use Xfce.  It doesn't remind me of CDE at all, and it's kind of sad to see the roots are basically gone (I guess the original Xfce used Xforms?  Hence Xfce?).  But, it's still far better than what's out there.  Has it's bugs, sure.  But they all do.  There's not a desktop environment that satisfies me 100%.  So if I seem to get angry over something small, ignore it.  It's just me.  I tend to be vocal about the small things.

Programming wise, I can't program.  I am mildly dyslexic.  Not enough where I can't type well, but enough when sitting and trying to think about things like code, it just doesn't work.  This is why sometimes you may see me just getting mad and wanting someone to complete code for me.  I can't do it, I have never been able to do it.

This however, hasn't stopped me from understanding electronics though, and being able to design circuits.  In fact, my sound card on my desktop running Xubuntu, is built by me.  External, but completely built by me, and I'm proud about that.  Though at the same time, when doing bug reports with a sound driver, it's hard to explain that the sound card has no manufacturer other than me, and the only driver I am using is for whatever DAC I chose to use (I'm using Cirrus Logic if you're wondering).

Anyways, I ranted enough.  If you want to know anything about me, ask me.  I love being asked questions, and I love answering them.

#2 2014-11-21 20:49:38

dubois

Re: Hello from Florida

Hello, and welcome.  smile

Board footer