Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-15 15:41:05

Hiballer
Website

Hello from Ohio

Mostly new to Linux as an operating system, but been in computers for over 50 years.  Grew up through Unix and all that and am now getting back to a basic OS and away from the madness of Windoze.  My main concern at the moment is Tnunar - it doesn't seem to play well with Samba and the rest of my network which, unfortunately, contains Windows machines.

Bill

#2 2014-11-21 21:00:42

dubois

Re: Hello from Ohio

Hello, and welcome.  smile

Not to ask a stupid question but you do have "thunar-plugin-shares" installed, right?  wink

#3 2014-11-21 21:31:23

Hiballer
Website

Hi there.  I don't think so.  apt-get can't locate it and dpkg -L says it isn't installed.  Where does it come from, as the Ubuntu Software Center cannot locate it either.

I went to MSU from 1961-1962.

Bill

#4 2014-11-21 22:08:15

Hiballer
Website

The only thing I could find on 'thunar-plugin-share' was a long, drawn-out post on how to download the source, create directories, compile everything, and install it.  I don't do that.  If it isn't something I can just download and install, it doesn't get installed.  I know HOW to compile, but I just don't feel like doing all that just to get an ability which might work - or might not.

I have totally dismissed Thunar as a file manager and gone over to Dolphin and Gnome Commander.  If I need to share a directory, then I log off and log back into a default Ubuntu session and share the thing.  I've found that if I share it using Samba, then from the windows viewpoint I can't 'unshare' or even create any new directories in that shared directory because of permissions issues.  I can read/alter/write files there, but not create any new directories (or delete old ones, either).

Thunar simply does not work properly for me.

Bill

Last edited by Hiballer (2014-11-21 22:09:58)

#5 2014-11-22 18:18:49

dubois

Hiballer wrote:

Hi there.  I don't think so.  apt-get can't locate it and dpkg -L says it isn't installed.  Where does it come from, as the Ubuntu Software Center cannot locate it either.

I went to MSU from 1961-1962.

Bill

It was part and parcel to my openSUSE install - matter of fact I can't remember that it wasn't part of Debian when I used it, but like they say don't mix and match Debian with Ubuntu!  wink

#6 2014-11-22 18:26:33

dubois

Hiballer wrote:

The only thing I could find on 'thunar-plugin-share' was a long, drawn-out post on how to download the source, create directories, compile everything, and install it.  I don't do that.  If it isn't something I can just download and install, it doesn't get installed.  I know HOW to compile, but I just don't feel like doing all that just to get an ability which might work - or might not.

I have totally dismissed Thunar as a file manager and gone over to Dolphin and Gnome Commander.  If I need to share a directory, then I log off and log back into a default Ubuntu session and share the thing.  I've found that if I share it using Samba, then from the windows viewpoint I can't 'unshare' or even create any new directories in that shared directory because of permissions issues.  I can read/alter/write files there, but not create any new directories (or delete old ones, either).

Thunar simply does not work properly for me.

Bill

I swap out using Xfce with Thunar and MATE with caja, its file manager which is what Nautilus used to be on this fork of the discontinued Gnome 2.somethingorother DE.  Liked that old Gnome and it's good to see it revived - been using Xfce since 2007 not counting three years just past when I tried a basis install of KDE which was amazingly agile.  smile

Glad to see you found something that works for you.  What I like about Linux - if you look long enough and hard enough you'll find that something special - now if day-to-day life were like that...  lol lol

#7 2014-11-22 19:37:26

Jerry3904

We use the "Samba" package in debian, which works very well. Also have documentation here and a video here that might help.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer