Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-23 09:10:58

sharkoxi

Advanced copier request

Hello everybody,

I was looking for an advanced copier, xfce one is too basic for me.
I'd like to have advanced features during a file copying like pause/resume and results in detailed information dialogs which allow you to pick up the best solution (eg. always overwrite, overwrite if newer, etc ...)

Like the old supercoiper 2.2 for linux users :
74427-supercopier.png

There is supercopier 4 / ultracopier but sources contains malware (cgminer).

-------------
I'm using XFCE 4.10 provided by openSUSE
Gestionnaire de fenêtres (xfwm4)
Panneau (xfce4-panel)
Gestionnaire de bureau (xfdesktop)
Gestionnaire de fichier (thunar)
Gestionnaire de session (xfce4-session)
Paramètres système (xfce4-settings)
Chercheur d'application (xfce4-appfinder)
Démon de paramètrage (xfconf)

I'm using openSUSE 13.2

#2 2014-11-23 16:48:02

MountainDewManiac

Re: Advanced copier request

What is the benefit of being able to pause a copy operation? I realize that very large files, especially onto (or via) slow devices - such as copying a 250-gig compressed archive backup of a partition onto an external hard drive via USB2 - can take some time. But our systems continue to function when such things are being carried out.

Unless the pause is advanced enough that it will let the user physically disconnect an external device that a copy operation is being performed on and then resume later when it is reconnected (I'm not sure why anyone would need to do this, but I suppose it is one instance where a pause would be useful)? Or advanced enough that if a user is running a laptop on battery power, is in the midst of a copy operation, his/her battery-level gets critically low, and es realizes that the charger is nowhere to be found, es can pause the copy, shut down the laptop, find the charger, connect it, turn the laptop on, and then resume the copy operation?

That's about all I can think of. But I assume that an app that does file copies would have to be quite advanced, indeed, to handle cases like those examples, so I wonder if I am missing something simple.

BtW, I generally do not copy files - I just move them. But people who in "mission-critical" situations where they need to make several copies of the same backups might find a dedicated copy app useful.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer