Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-11-04 03:31:18

shadow23

Re: What changes would you like to see in Thunar?

--Work off Bugzilla (it seems some devs don't know that it exists but it's full of unanswered bugs and wishes). ++
--Split view option +++-+
--Drag file to a different folder and have a symlink option ? (--> is in Thunar 1.6.3)
--Mouse over an image and see a thumbnail, dimensions, file size  +++++
--Option that would split the window into an upper pane with the file manager stuff, and a lower pane with a terminal opened to whatever directory you were in -++
--Custom folder icons.+
--Hovering mouse cursor on audio file for 2+ seconds causes audio file to be played without loading media player. +
--Integrate unp to simply extract archives without a gui file archiver
--Option to organize Thunar Custom Actions into submenus based on the type of action (video, images, audio, etc) -- useful for those of us who use lots of custom actions.
--file size calculations with factor 1024 (files are binary data, use binary prefixes / binary measurement !)
--show duration of mp3 files in detail view and calculate sum of playtime if these filetypes are selected (sum displayed down in statusbar)

I want the terminal in a pane with auto switching to current dir of GUI-Folder-Location, too :3

--file size calculations with factor 1024 [...]

Why does thunar calculate file size in factors of 1000 and not 1024?
Most file managers use 1024 even MS Windows does it (but writing KB instead of the correct KiB etc.).

--show duration of mp3 files [..]

easy mp3 selection by duration would be nice to mix a podcast for the mp3 player together if i want to be entertained for like 2 hours because i'm traveling that long...

2. Drag file to a different folder and have a symlink option

It's already in my Thunar 1.6.3
But you can also do: Holding Ctrl+Shift while dragging makes a symlink.

Last edited by shadow23 (2014-11-04 04:44:08)

#27 2014-11-04 03:31:20

Jristz

* Add an "advanced" setting covering ALL the actual hiden settings. +

I thing that could cover most of the issues raised here.

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#28 2014-11-04 10:28:06

Jerry3904

Neither of those happens in 1.6.3 for anyone I have ever seen talk about this. What was the source of your Thunar?

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#29 2014-11-05 18:49:36

wellington_r

1. Split view option +++-
3. Mouse over an image and see a thumbnail, dimensions, file size  ++++
4. option that would split the window into an upper pane with the file manager stuff, and a lower pane with a terminal opened to whatever directory you were in -
5. Custom folder icons.
6. Hovering mouse cursor on audio file for 2+ seconds causes audio file to be played without loading media player. +
7. work off Bugzilla (it seems some devs don't know that it exists but it's full of unanswered bugs and wishes). +
8. Integrate unp to simply extract archives without a gui file archiver

9. I would like to have an option where you resize the thumbnails of videos/images alone, independent from folder/file icons.

Because in order to have an useful thumbnail (on which you can really 'PREVIEW" the image), I need to increase the size of all types of icons too much.
I don't need to see a folder icon in a big size, because I know it's a folder, but in order to find a determined picture in a folder full of them, I need a bigger thumbnail.

In Gnome/Nautilus you don't have this option, but the proportion between the thumbnails and the folder icons is better, so you don't need to make the file icons too big in order to have the thumbnails in a good size.

I'm really sorry for my english. I hope you guys can understand me.

#30 2014-11-05 19:29:56

Jerry3904

I'm really sorry for my english. I hope you guys can understand me.

Your English is excellent, and I don't see a single place where understanding is a problem.

#31 2014-11-05 21:26:45

hacknix

Mostly two things come to my mind which would really make a huge improvement compared to other file managers: Miller columns and spring-loaded folders. Some of the above mentioned things like custom folders, improved thumbnail/preview, audio and video support would also be neat, naturally.

#32 2014-11-05 23:40:54

MountainDewManiac

hacknix wrote:

Miller columns and spring-loaded folders

What are those?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#33 2014-11-06 03:40:59

Rayonant

Jerry3904 wrote:

Neither of those happens in 1.6.3 for anyone I have ever seen talk about this. What was the source of your Thunar?

Both forms work for me, Moving with right click and then selecting "Link here" as moving with Ctrl+shift , my Thunar version is 1.6.3 from the Manjaro repositories.

As Eric had stated I wish that this feature that he has added to xfdesktop (showing cover as the folder image/icon ) could make it into Thubar, it would be a great thing to have on it.

Last edited by Rayonant (2014-11-06 03:49:26)

#34 2014-11-06 05:49:26

sixsixfive
Website

hacknix wrote:

Miller columns and spring-loaded folders

+1 one for those but i guess millers are patented by apple

>What are those?

spring-loaded folders: auto opens a folder in your fm if you drag a file over a folder, see enlightenment>efm

miller collums: like a split view for every folder you open, well its hard to explain. see this  http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uplo … n-view.JPG

#35 2014-11-06 09:04:21

MountainDewManiac

Thanks, your explanations were sufficient. And that brings up a thought: Considering that I don't want anything like that or half(+) the other things mentioned on this list on my file manager application, and lots of people probably don't have any use for the suggestion I contributed - or others I could think up - I am starting to realize that the developer of Thunar did the correct thing... By providing a good basic file manager that can be customized to suit the individual user by the configuration/options, the custom actions, and the ability to add/change it more fully by the application of patches before compiling. This list is starting to look like the computerized equivalent of a US bill after it has been worked on by all the various committees and interests in both houses of Congress.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#36 2014-11-07 12:33:42

Jerry3904

A patch has just been submitted for split screen. Nir will be testing.

Woot!

cool

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2014-11-10 01:24:21)

#37 2014-11-09 22:47:12

justasug

Would it be possible to add the ability for Thunar to remember the layout (icon/detailed/compact list view) for each folder? Then when you set the layout once for a certain folder, it will remember it the next time.

#38 2014-11-09 23:31:47

kurisu

shadow23 wrote:

--file size calculations with factor 1024 [...]

Why does thunar calculate file size in factors of 1000 and not 1024?
Most file managers use 1024 even MS Windows does it (but writing KB instead of the correct KiB etc.).

+1

This has been bugging me for a while now too.

#39 2014-11-10 00:02:48

MountainDewManiac

Seems like when you purchase a "500 gig" hard drive these days, you don't actually get 500*1024 Kbytes. And I never understood why they insisted on the fallacy of calling them kilobytes in the first place, since a kilobyte would be 1,000 bytes instead of 1024. So... Maybe it's actually correct, lol? (IOW, just because "we've always done it that way" doesn't make it right roll ; the people who've been using the metric system have "always done it the correct way - since the 1790s... So our only remaining excuse isn't exactly valid, either.)

A kilosomething is 1,000 of them, a megasomething is 1,000,000 of them, and calling that guy in the bar with the big muscles and long beard Ma'am just might get you stabbed regardless of the fact that you've called guys Ma'am since computers were invented wink .

Someone actually filed a bug report about it in March of last year. See Nick's comment at the bottom of the page:

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9887

Using the correct numbers for the prefixes is more sensible anyway, IMHO. For one, I doubt very many people actually communicate with their computer using binary numbers these days (or use punch-cards to input those numbers, either). Secondly: Quickly, how many bytes are available on your hard drive if partition one has 18.3*1024*1024 bytes, partition two has 23.4*1024*1024 bytes, and partition three has 185.5*1024*1024 bytes but you're about to expand four archives which will each consume approximately 22.727*1024*1024 bytes? Methinks that using the correct definitions for the prefixes makes the math a little easier for us average IQ types.

EDIT: Someone did write a custom action that would report file sizes in the (in)"correct" fashion because he - apparently - believes that because "everyone else" calls an apple a turnip, that makes it right (perhaps he works in Hollywood as a morals/obscenity standards inspector roll ) . While I obviously don't advocate using it, I've gone back and edited my (this) post in order to include it for those who are addicted to doing it wrong. Here, for your (in)convenience:

http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201307/page01.html

I have not tested it. But it appears that it does what the guy (assumption, but it's a guy) who wrote the article wanted it to, or so the images show.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2014-11-10 00:15:08)

Mountain Dew Maniac

#40 2014-11-10 14:32:43

birch

This bash script will show you the actual size of files:

#! /bin/bash

kb=$((2**10))
mb=$((2**20))

for file in $@; do
        if [ ! -e $file ]; then
                continue
        fi
     b1=`ls -l $file | cut -d" " -f5`
     let "b += b1"
done
     k=`echo -e "scale=2; $b/$kb" | bc`
     m=`echo -e "scale=2; $b/$mb" | bc`

zenity --info --title="Actual File Size" --width=300 --height=100 --text="$b bytes\n$k KB\n$m MB"

To use in Thunar Custom Actions check everything in Appearance Conditions and in the Command put the path to the bash script and %N: /home/peach/Scripts/file-size.sh %N

#41 2014-11-10 16:23:37

Jerry3904

I tried this in a terminal but it threw up an error:

$ $ sh file-size.sh 
file-size.sh: 3: file-size.sh: 2**10: not found
file-size.sh: 4: file-size.sh: 2**20: not found
(standard_in) 1: syntax error

I googled the error message and apparently "the ** exponent operator isn't standard for /bin/sh."

#42 2014-11-10 21:24:37

Jerry3904

OK, now the syntax works, though the numbers coming out aren't right:

#! /bin/bash

kb=$((2^10))
mb=$((2^20))

for file in $@; do
        if [ ! -e $file ]; then
                continue
        fi
     b1=`ls -l $file | cut -d" " -f5`
     let "b += b1"
done
     k=`echo -e "scale=2; $b/$kb" | bc`
     m=`echo -e "scale=2; $b/$mb" | bc`

zenity --info --title="Actual File Size" --width=300 --height=100 --text="$b bytes\n$k KB\n$m MB"

We replace zenity with yad in MX-14, which works well here. I right-clicked a small file and got these numbers:

3665 bytes
45.62 KB
16.59 MB

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2014-11-10 22:08:06)

#43 2014-11-11 04:26:36

Magnus

I don't think Thunar has languished a bit, on the contrary, it's pretty much the only part of Xfce that gets focused on while Xfwm is still full of bugs and the rest haven't been updated in a while...
Personally I would like search functionality like Catfish integrated on both Thunar and the Whisker menu (or even better, the default menu).

#44 2014-11-11 22:34:34

birch

Jerry3904 wrote:

OK, now the syntax works, though the numbers coming out aren't right:

I used this script when I was running Mint 16. I've since upgraded to Mint 17 and it doesn't work now as a custom action for some reason, even if I change the asterisks as you did. Here's where I got the script: http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201307/page01.html

Last edited by birch (2014-11-11 22:34:53)

#45 2014-11-14 21:56:06

Olivu

Hello all, 1st post. I'm all new here at Xfce, having used Ubuntu/Gnome/Unity for more than 3 years. Nice proposal "What would you like" smile

4. option that would split the window into an upper pane with the file manager stuff, and a lower pane with a terminal opened to whatever directory you were in -
5. Custom folder icons.
6. Hovering mouse cursor on audio file for 2+ seconds causes audio file to be played without loading media player. +
7. work off Bugzilla (it seems some devs don't know that it exists but it's full of unanswered bugs and wishes). ++
9. Option where you resize the thumbnails of videos/images alone, independent from folder/file icons.
10. A File Manager that is totally integrated with a search engine. In which, as soon I type a word in the search window, the files icons whose names contain this word are the only ones displayed. In fact, the exact same behaviour than Xfce Application Manager.

10. My dream :
A File Manager that is totally integrated with an indexed (?) search engine (I guess indexed, only on the filenames and their directory, would be more fluid, Recoll and Tracker are complete indexed search engines).
In which, as soon I type a word in the search window, the files icons whose names contain this word are the only ones displayed.
In fact, the exact same behaviour than Xfce Application Manager, except that the search would be limited to the directory.
Windows, Mac OsX, and Blackberry kind of do that.
Maybe this is off-tracks. I did not find any such wish in the Thunar wish list https://wiki.xfce.org/wish_list#thunar

#46 2014-11-14 22:39:06

Jerry3904

Thanks, that's great. An integrated incremental search function is a real need--and using something like gnome-search-tool (still available in Debian repos), not catfish. It suspect, though, that such an addition would increase the footprint of the application significantly...

#47 2014-11-23 12:52:46

spamcheck

5. Custom folder icons.
7. work off Bugzilla (it seems some devs don't know that it exists but it's full of unanswered bugs and wishes). ++
9. Option where you resize the thumbnails of videos/images alone, independent from folder/file icons.
10. A File Manager that is totally integrated with a search engine. In which, as soon I type a word in the search window, the files icons whose names contain this word are the only ones displayed. In fact, the exact same behaviour than Xfce Application Manager.

11.Add grouping option (like in Windows file manager http://goo.gl/HsoX5m) so you can both `sort by file date` and `group by file type` at the same time and do not need to change it alternately

#48 2014-11-23 15:24:00

Jerry3904

Thanks for restoring the rolling suggestion/approval box!

#49 2014-12-05 10:33:23

fabioxxxx

12- basic thunar search vs  file selection and control +c
ex:
. open folder with files
.type part of file name  ,(it goes to your file, it shows the file selected, but crtl+ c does not work , the file is shown as selected, and you think you copied the file...

you need either to press esc, or click in the file with the mouse to really select the file.

this really gets me because you think you copied the file since it was highlighted, you move several folders  , and the paste does not work , and back you go again : P

10. A File Manager that is totally integrated with a search engine...

by the gods...finally
rYg0drJB0jhGEZDXfHG2dydazgMEpDNZ7zwA25qo10c=w204-h207-p-no

Last edited by fabioxxxx (2014-12-10 12:01:01)

Board footer