Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-25 16:42:35

MountainDewManiac

xfburn Stopped Working (Help?)

Ran xfburn and got this popup window:
No burners are currently available

Possibly the disc(s) are in use, and cannot get accessed.

Please unmount and restart the application.

If no disc is in the drive, check that you have read and write access to the drive with the current user.

I don't recall an updated file coming to me via Update Manager for xfburn, but I cannot be sure. Can someone advise, please?

Thanks,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2014-11-25 17:51:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfburn Stopped Working (Help?)

Was there a recent udev update?

Which groups does your account belong to?

And finally, try running it as root (gksudo xfburn) and see if it gets recognized then.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-25 23:20:34

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

Was there a recent udev update?

Nothing is showing in Synaptic's history back to August 1st, and I am pretty sure that I've burned a disc since then. it looks like mount got updated a couple of times. udev is currently at 204-5ubuntu20 (20.8 is available) and mount is at 2.20.1-5.1ubuntu20.3.

ToZ wrote:

Which groups does your account belong to?

Looks like quite a few. Any way to get a list to show up in terminal so I can paste it here instead of referring to the GUI app and typing it all roll ?

ToZ wrote:

And finally, try running it as root (gksudo xfburn) and see if it gets recognized then.

Got the same notification in a pop-up window.

Do you have any more ideas? This is a laptop, but it has not moved a cm in months, so I discount "active physical damage to the hardware."

Thanks for your assistance,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2014-11-25 23:27:08)

Mountain Dew Maniac

#4 2014-11-25 23:26:43

ToZ
Administrator

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Looks like quite a few. Any way to get a list to show up in terminal so I can paste it here instead of referring to the GUI app and typing it all roll ?

Run:

groups

...in a terminal window. It will show what groups you belong to.

Also, what does the following return:

udevadm info --name=/dev/sr0 --query=all

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-11-26 14:20:15

sixsixfive
Website

What happens if you try to do it the old way? eg adding the cddrive to your fstab?

for example my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
UUID=b2462cfa-2cb0-4383-abd5-0eb4cc671d10 /               ext4    noatime,nodiratime,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=f81a3ae4-612c-47c9-afcc-36fcc71e67c9 /home           ext4    noatime,nodiratime,relatime 0       2
/dev/sda2       /media/ntfs     ntfs-3g uid=ssf,gid=users,umask=0022 0 0
/dev/sdc1       /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto,noatime,umask=000,exec,flush 0 0
#/dev/sdc2      /media/usb1     auto    rw,user,noauto,noatime,noauto,flush 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /media/mmc0     auto    rw,user,noauto,noatime,umask=000,exec,flush 0 0
/dev/sr0        /media/cdrom0   auto    ro,user,noauto 0 0

Last edited by sixsixfive (2014-11-26 15:24:26)

#6 2014-11-26 17:24:45

MountainDewManiac

sixsixfive wrote:

eg adding the cddrive to your fstab?

for example my fstab:

#
#
UUID=b2462cfa-2cb0-4383-abd5-0eb4cc671d10 /               ext4    noatime,nodiratime,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=f81a3ae4-612c-47c9-afcc-36fcc71e67c9 /home           ext4    noatime,nodiratime,relatime 0       2
/dev/sda2       /media/ntfs     ntfs-3g uid=ssf,gid=users,umask=0022 0 0
/dev/sdc1       /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto,noatime,umask=000,exec,flush 0 0
#/dev/sdc2      /media/usb1     auto    rw,user,noauto,noatime,noauto,flush 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /media/mmc0     auto    rw,user,noauto,noatime,umask=000,exec,flush 0 0

Err... Okay. I appreciate you trying to help and all - but could you try again with simpler words, lol? I hit the button that brings that annoying new menu up, IDK why they even bothered to allow their users to run it with a keyboard button since they decided to force them to use a mouse to use the thing anyway, but I digress in disgust... Then I typed fstab into the place on the bottom of it and hit Enter and it ran Libre Office (which I thought I had uninstalled because I think gedit works great, but I guess not roll ) instead of running the fstab critter. So I ran the terminal app and typed fstab into that and pressed Enter - and learned that I don't have fstab installed. I'll have to run Synaptic Package Manager and see if it's in my repos. Won't be able to until this evening, though.

sixsixfive wrote:

What happens if you try to do it the old way?

The old way is I push the button on the drawer, quickly pull my hand away so it doesn't get hit by the thing when it pops partway open (in case that would damage something, IDFK I'm not a brain scientist or rocket surgeon), put a CD on it, pop it onto the center thing (spindle, maybe), gently shove the drawer shut, wait a little while until the icon appears on my desktop, then run xfburn.

What I guess I need is some kind of new way, one that you use when you put the CD in and don't get given the icon on the desktop but instead get that pop-up notification window whatchamacallit that I mentioned up there when you finally realize that you could wait until your next birthday and aren't going to see the icon and go ahead and run xfburn. Because the old way broke.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2014-11-26 17:26:38)

Mountain Dew Maniac

#7 2014-11-26 18:55:42

sixsixfive
Website

Fstab: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab

in short it's a file that handles your mount points

you can read it from the terminal with cat eg: cat /etc/fstab you can also edit with any texteditor as root eg: 'su -c "nano /etc/fstab"' / 'sudo nano /etc/fstab' or with mousepad and gksu:

gksu mousepad /etc/fstab

now you could try to add your cdrom device with a fixed mount point (that folder needs to exist and its usually in the /media or /mnt folder) eg:

and it just says that my cdrom drive(/dev/sr0) is mounted to /media/cdrom0, the filesystem is auto(since it could be iso9660 or UDF), it is mounted as read only(ro), to the group users(users), and will not automounted on boot or when i insert a disk(noauto) and the last 2 digits(0 0) disable the dump and fsck wich is useles for cds....

also with old way i meant the old way it was done prior to udev

Last edited by sixsixfive (2014-11-26 19:02:17)

#8 2014-11-26 19:02:47

Jerry3904

What is the ouput of

inxi -d

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#9 2014-11-27 10:27:14

MountainDewManiac

You got a reference that can't be edited by any drunken monkey who wants to screw with it?

in short it's a file that handles your mount points

That explanation is probably enough.

you can read it

with any texteditor as root

That'll work. As mentioned, I have gedit. I'd probably rank it #3 out of all the word-processing type applications I've used since the early-mid '80s, behind Easy Script and SpeedScript (both for the Commodore 64). So I'll use that.

Anyway, here is what it looks like now:

#
#
# / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=<THIS LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING A PERSON SHOULDN'T WANT TO SHARE> /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=<DITTO> none            swap    sw              0       0

now you could try to add your cdrom device

It's one of those combo drives, it reads and writes both CDs and DVDs. I'm not trying to be real nitpicky here, it's just that you called it cdrom in your file and I'm wondering if I need to call it something else since it's not just a CD-ROM drive.

with a fixed mount point (that folder needs to exist and its usually in the /media or /mnt folder) eg:

and it just says that my cdrom drive(/dev/sr0) is mounted to /media/cdrom0, the filesystem is auto(since it could be iso9660 or UDF), it is mounted as read only(ro), to the group users(users), and will not automounted on boot or when i insert a disk(noauto) and the last 2 digits(0 0) disable the dump and fsck wich is useles for cds....

also with old way i meant the old way it was done prior to udev

Okay. That folder that has to exist isn't in the media or mount directory. Maybe it somehow got deleted (I didn't delete it, BtW, some remote hacker maybe?). So I guess I need to hunt one down on the Internet, download it, and put it in one of those directories. Which one, if it matters? I'm running Mint 17 XFCE 64-bit if it makes a difference.

I guess that directory I need to download will have to have permission, so I'll make sure to right-click in it (via Thunar) and select open folder as root so when I move it there from my Downloads (where Firefox puts stuff, but you probably knew that, lol) one it'll be permissioned to the max.

And then I just need to edit my fstab file and add a line for... DVD+CD ? Combo-Optical Drive ? IDK. Something. How do I figure out what it's plugged in as, or will it always be hooked to that "sr0" in a laptop? Making sure it doesn't try to automount when I boot up the computer is definitely a good thing, since there won't ever be a disc in it then. But I probably ought to have it mount when I put a disc into it for a couple of reasons: Because then I'll know it is working - if I put a disc in it and that icon doesn't appear on my desktop, I'll know it's broke again and I'll have to redo... whatever it is that I'm trying to do now - and because I'm assuming that I won't be putting a disc in just to store it, I'll always be wanting to either read from or write to it? So I'd need to mount it anyway, right?

IDK about disabling the dump and fscking it. It's pretty fscked right now, to tell you the truth.

This whole thing started because... Well, it's not a real long story, but it's more than a sentence and I've learned that if I type more than the average (I guess?) person can read in about 30 seconds it tends to annoy them roll . I'm not saying that you're average or anything - I mean... IDK, right? - it's just that I don't want to take the chance of annoying someone who is helping me. Been there, done that, and the fact that you weren't trying to offend isn't all that comforting at that point. So... Let me know if you want to read it or not.

Regards,
MDM

PS   Hey, I almost forgot to mention that when I minimized Firefox earlier (no reason, I guess, since this laptop has gigs and stuff, I just do it like that) to open a terminal and root around in gedit to copy that fstab file, I saw that the icon had appeared on my desktop showing a disc in the drive! So I immediately ran xfburn to do the operation I've been needing to do... but it said copy failed. Or burn failed. Or something, it definitely included the word "failed." IDK if that's important, but it reminded me to mention another issue: I use 700 meg (or "meg," IDK which) blank CDs and xfburn comes up with 650meg. IDK if that is important, either, since I can just change it in the program, but figured I need to make sure I mention stuff about the overall problem.

Mountain Dew Maniac

#10 2014-11-27 15:19:24

sixsixfive
Website

>I saw that the icon had appeared on my desktop showing a disc in the drive! So I immediately ran xfburn to do the operation I've been needing to do... but it said copy failed. Or burn failed. Or something, it definitely included the word "failed." IDK if that's

thats weird, since it means that udev is still working or doing some stuff, also are you able to mount normal data disks? What about usb pen drives, are they still correctly mounted? if yes then your udev probably works and it is probably a xfburn / libburn issue - in this case i would first try another burning application like simpleburn, brasero or k3b

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok just for the case that your can't mount normal cds-->udev issue

>Okay. That folder that has to exist isn't in the media or mount directory

afaik, udev is mounting cds with their disc label so it creates the folder for you everytime you mount a disk

if you want to try the fstab way you can create the folder from a terminal with

sudo mkdir /media/$INSERTSUPERCOOLDRIVENAMEHERE

and yes the name absolutly doesn't matter eg: /media/cdrom, /media/dvdrom, /media/dvd or even /media/toaster

> DVD+CD ? Combo-Optical Drive ? IDK. Something. How do I figure out what it's plugged in as, or will it always be hooked to that "sr0" in a laptop

dvd ,cd ... whatever that doesnt really matter it works all the same way

srX beginning with 0 is reserved on linux for cddrives/optical drives but you can also check the id(again in a terminal) with

cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

after you have created that folder and checked what device name your cd drive has, open your fstab:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

and add the line at the bottom

/dev/$INSERTYOURDEVICEID       /media/$INSERTTHECOOLFOLDERNAME   auto    ro,user,noauto 0 0

save the file and reboot and see if it works

-->works--> your udev stuff is broken/misconfigured so you can either remove the line from your fstab file and try to fix udev or keep that fstab stuff if it works for you
-->won't work-->either your drive(I guess not) or your cd/dvd(failed previous burn?) is broken

PS: Also i'm not sure if the desktop icon works once you insert a disk(since i don't use xfdesktop) but you should be able to mount and eject cd's from thunars sidebar

#11 2014-11-28 19:25:26

MountainDewManiac

Hey, if the discs I'm trying to use are bad, would that cause the behavior I am experiencing? Maybe I'm making it too complicated. They came from the same spindle. They're Verbatim, which I've always had good luck with, but these came from Big Lots and they were far more than just "suspiciously" cheap.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#12 2014-11-29 14:46:31

dubois

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Hey, if the discs I'm trying to use are bad, would that cause the behavior I am experiencing? Maybe I'm making it too complicated. They came from the same spindle. They're Verbatim, which I've always had good luck with, but these came from Big Lots and they were far more than just "suspiciously" cheap.

Regards,
MDM

After trying all of the good help you've gotten and still no results, what you've just mentioned may, indeed, may be money well spent.  Um, you'll never know until you try.  wink

#13 2014-11-29 18:19:07

sixsixfive
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Hey, if the discs I'm trying to use are bad, would that cause the behavior I am experiencing?

it could be but you can still try another burning application eg k3b is known as the most feature complete one and since you are on ubuntu you could easily install and try it by yourself

Board footer