Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-29 05:58:13

birch

Wealth and Computer-Knowledgable People

I was watching an interview with Leo Laporte and Kevin Rose. Rose said that when he was first whetting his beak with programming he thought that he could easily become wealthy by creating a computer program and charging $10 to each customer. He laughed as he was saying this, as if to suggest that this was naive and that creating profit was much harder than merely writing a useful program. The Angry Birds programmers have likely made tons of money.

ToZ seems to be pretty knowledgable about computers. I'm 40 years old and have more computer knowledge than the average computer user, but not that much knowledge when compared to Bill Joy, Dennis Ritchie, etc.

Is ToZ wealthy? Who knows. But he has knowledge that is very specialized. One could not be faulted for assuming that he at least has the potential to be very wealthy.

People who are knowledgable about computers may not be geniuses, but their knowledge is very specialized, and unlike stamp collectors, in demand.

Last edited by birch (2014-11-29 05:59:42)

#2 2014-11-29 14:43:37

dubois

Re: Wealth and Computer-Knowledgable People

That was a nice thing to say...

#3 2014-11-30 01:47:07

ToZ
Administrator

birch wrote:

Is ToZ wealthy? Who knows.

I can assure you he is not.

But he has knowledge that is very specialized.

Like most of us, knowledge that has been gained through years of use and experimentation. I've been using Xfce since, I can't remember how long. And I love tinkering. I've learnt alot along the way.

People who are knowledgable about computers may not be geniuses, but their knowledge is very specialized, and unlike stamp collectors, in demand.

Many like to participate in forums like these to pass on the knowledge that they have and to support Linux. For me, this is my contribution to Xfce and the Linux community.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2014-11-30 08:47:18

gnome_refugee

Interesting thread.

I'm not as capable a tinkerer as ToZ, but I gained some knowledge of computers and shell-scripting over many years, at home and at work.

I've shared what I could here on the Xfce forums, and also in 50-odd articles in 2 online 'magazines' devoted to Linux or FOSS. I have never been paid for that sharing and don't *want* to be paid. I see that sharing as 'paying back' the Linux world (actually 'paying forward') for the fantastic free software I've used for so many years.

#5 2015-03-18 02:13:09

ToZ
Administrator

There are many places on the internet to discuss religion. This is not one of them. Lets please stick to discussing issues related to Xfce. I'm removing the 3 religion-related posts.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer