Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-13 06:10:45

Gotolei

Power Manager Applet - Hide Nonexistent Batteries?

I have a logitech unifying receiver, and it likes to report all paired devices to the system even if they're not powered on and connected. I only occasionally use most of them.

This wasn't a problem in 14.04 because there was an option as to what icons to show, one of which was for only present batteries/devices. It would add a new entry when a new device was detected, and remove an entry when the device disconnects.
This option seems to be gone in 14.10, and the applet lists "unknown state" for the inactive devices.

Any reason this functionality appears to be gone, and any way to bring it back other than manually unpairing unused devices?
Or is it just not implemented in the new version yet?

#2 2014-12-13 14:44:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Power Manager Applet - Hide Nonexistent Batteries?

Gotolei wrote:

I have a logitech unifying receiver, and it likes to report all paired devices to the system even if they're not powered on and connected. I only occasionally use most of them.

This wasn't a problem in 14.04 because there was an option as to what icons to show, one of which was for only present batteries/devices. It would add a new entry when a new device was detected, and remove an entry when the device disconnects.
This option seems to be gone in 14.10, and the applet lists "unknown state" for the inactive devices.

I don't have any extra power devices. Out of curiosity, where are these other devices listed/shown in 14.10? In the panel itself or in the settings dialog?

Any reason this functionality appears to be gone,

By default, 14.04 uses version 1.2 and 14.10 uses version 1.4.1 of xfce4-power-manager. The old xfce4-power-manager's tray icon was removed and a new Power Manager Plugin was added in the 1.4.x series. Xubuntu 14.10 uses the new plugin. There was a pretty significant code re-write that happened during this change. It would appear that this functionality was dropped. Perhaps inadvertently?

and any way to bring it back other than manually unpairing unused devices?
Or is it just not implemented in the new version yet?

I would suggest creating a bug report to bring this attention to the developer. There is also an existing bug report and bounty to bring back the old tray icon - which may return this functionality.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-12-13 17:31:57

Gotolei

Re: Power Manager Applet - Hide Nonexistent Batteries?

ToZ wrote:

I don't have any extra power devices. Out of curiosity, where are these other devices listed/shown in 14.10? In the panel itself or in the settings dialog?

They show in both the settings dialog and the menu that pops up when clicking on the panel applet.
The tray icon, from what I saw, just uses the laptop's actual battery and ignores devices. (which is great - I used to hate how unity insisted on showing only mouse status)

There was a pretty significant code re-write that happened during this change. It would appear that this functionality was dropped. Perhaps inadvertently?

One would hope inadvertently - it'd be a shame if xfce started pulling Shuttleworths. tongue

In any case I've since downgraded back to 14.04.. Upgrading fixed none of the problems with lightlocker et al I was hoping it would (while completely breaking other things), so personally I'm not pursuing this any further.

Board footer