Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-14 09:22:25

vonibenz

XUBUNTU in Italian - The function SCHERMO (display) is blocked

Ciao a tutti, sono alla ricerca di un esperto di XFCE che sappia indicarmi come sbloccare la funzione Schermo (Xfce>Impostazioni>Schermo) che ora è bloccata su una risoluzione troppo bassa (1024x768 invece di 1280x800).
Il blocco è sopravvenuto a seguito di un mio tentativo  :devilmad: di attivare alcune delle numerose funzioni della scheda video AMD/ATI Radeon, che funziona in modo soddisfacente con Windows (dual boot) ma purtroppo non sono accessibili da Xubuntu (il driver proprietario che ho downlodato è disponibile solo per Win).
Anche tastiera e mouse si muovono con lentezza inconsueta! Grazie.

#2 2014-12-14 14:59:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XUBUNTU in Italian - The function SCHERMO (display) is blocked

Sto usando Google Translate per leggere e rispondere al tuo post. Problemi di risoluzione video sono generalmente fissati a livello di server X. Xfce utilizza le risoluzioni che vengono messi a disposizione dal driver video. Se hai trovato risoluzioni video non corretti, o hanno problemi con la creazione di scheda video, la soluzione migliore sarebbe quella di inserire in UbuntuForums italiani e ottenere assistenza per la configurazione del scheda video. Quando la scheda video è impostato correttamente, Xfce utilizza tali risoluzioni.

(Google Translation of)
I am using Google Translate to read and reply to your post. Video resolution problems are generally set at the X server level. Xfce will use the resolutions that are made available by the video driver. If you are getting incorrect video resolutions, or are having problems with setting up your video card, your best bet would be to post in Italian ubuntuforums and get assistance with setting up your video card. When the video card is set up properly, Xfce will use those resolutions.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-12-14 15:30:39

vonibenz

Thank you ToZ, correct translation, my english is not so good! Anyway, now I'll try to make me understood:

the problem arises from a my mistake, I tried to install the application Catalyst Control Center (package fglrx-amdcccle) with Package Manager Synaptic. The application was automatically installed in Xfce>all setting>setting>hardware>display, but it doesn't work properly.
In addition the above function "display" was blocked with an incorrect resolution (1024x768, instead of the correct 1280x800).
I just want to know if there is a method for resetting the "display" function and get it to the former/previous condition. Uninstall and reinstall something that I don't know, for example. Or I have to re-install all the Xubuntu 14.04 LTS ? A lot of work ...
Thank you very much.

#4 2014-12-14 16:04:35

ToZ
Administrator

You can reset Xfce's display settings by deleting the file ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/display.xml while not logged in (Ctrl+Alt+F1 from the login screen and login to the text console and delete that file. Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to the GUI login screen.)

However, I think the root issue is with the graphics driver install. I don't have the necessary experience to guide you through an uninstall/repair/reinstall of an ATI video driver, which is why I suggested asking at ubuntuforums.

When you get the video driver properly installed, then Xfce will use the resolutions that the X server provides. In other words, the video driver is configured outside of Xfce. Xfce can fine-tune some of the settings, but if a resolution is missing, then that problem is most likely at the X server level (outside of Xfce).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-12-14 17:50:36

vonibenz

Thanks ToZ, I'll try it and, if something goes wrong, I will re-install the o.s. Bye bye.

#6 2014-12-15 15:54:56

vonibenz

ToZ wrote:

You can reset Xfce's display settings by deleting the file ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/display.xml while not logged in (Ctrl+Alt+F1 from the login screen and login to the text console and delete that file. Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to the GUI login screen.)

However, I think the root issue is with the graphics driver install. I don't have the necessary experience to guide you through an uninstall/repair/reinstall of an ATI video driver, which is why I suggested asking at ubuntuforums.

When you get the video driver properly installed, then Xfce will use the resolutions that the X server provides. In other words, the video driver is configured outside of Xfce. Xfce can fine-tune some of the settings, but if a resolution is missing, then that problem is most likely at the X server level (outside of Xfce).

Dear ToZ, I suppose that I misunderstood; I cannot delete the file you mentioned (/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/display.xml) because the system response is:

file not found, not such a directory (translated in english from italian!)

I tried as well as root, but the response is the same. All the rest was good.

#7 2014-12-16 03:19:09

ToZ
Administrator

vonibenz wrote:

Dear ToZ, I suppose that I misunderstood; I cannot delete the file you mentioned (/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/display.xml) because the system response is:

file not found, not such a directory (translated in english from italian!).

I don't know if that's a typo or not, but the first character of the file location should be a ~ (indicating your home directory), like this:

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/display.xml

Can you post back the results of this command:

ls -l ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml

#8 2014-12-16 10:01:34

vonibenz

ToZ wrote:
vonibenz wrote:

file not found, not such a directory (translated in english from italian!).

I don't know if that's a typo or not, but the first character of the file location should be a ~ (indicating your home directory), like this:

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/display.xml

Can you post back the results of this command:

ls -l ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml

Here it is:

ei@boss-Pavilion-ZV6100-EE984EA-ABZ:~$ ls -l ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml
totale 76
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   145 dic 12 21:44 displays.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   204 dic 11 19:37 keyboards.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   322 dic 14 14:39 parole.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   272 dic 12 20:53 ristretto.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   620 dic 13 19:07 thunar.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei  2474 dic 12 20:53 xfce4-desktop.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei 17535 dic 11 19:08 xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei  6189 dic 16 10:11 xfce4-panel.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   730 dic 12 19:16 xfce4-power-manager.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei  1438 dic 11 19:37 xfce4-session.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   336 dic 12 19:28 xfce4-settings-editor.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   276 dic 12 19:28 xfce4-settings-manager.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei  4202 dic 11 19:08 xfwm4.xml
ei@boss-Pavilion-ZV6100-EE984EA-ABZ:~$

Well, on my keyboard, when logged on the "text console" opened before the login, I can't find the ~ . I find it only here, on the "normal" terminal emulator. I must investigate that. Thanks again.

Last edited by vonibenz (2014-12-16 10:08:54)

#9 2014-12-16 16:26:30

MountainDewManiac

I just tried logging in to a text console as per above, and when I got to the terminal prompt, I was able to type the "~" character. Are you using a non-English/US keyboard? It should be a SHIFTed "`" character (the key to the left of the "1") if not.

You could always type in the entire location instead of using the ~ shortcut.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#10 2014-12-16 20:27:48

ToZ
Administrator

And also a typo, the file name should be:

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml

...(displays.xml with an 's').

If you can't type in a tilde, you can always use $HOME instead:

$HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml

#11 2014-12-17 11:54:16

vonibenz

ToZ wrote:

Dear ToZ, finally I managed to erase the file "displays.xml" (from the normal terminal emulator) as you can see:

ei@boss-Pavilion-ZV6100-EE984EA-ABZ:~$ ls -l ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf//xfce-perchannel-xml
totale 72
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   204 dic 11 19:37 keyboards.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   322 dic 14 14:39 parole.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   272 dic 12 20:53 ristretto.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   619 dic 17 10:44 thunar.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei  2474 dic 12 20:53 xfce4-desktop.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei 17535 dic 11 19:08 xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei  6189 dic 17 12:25 xfce4-panel.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   730 dic 12 19:16 xfce4-power-manager.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei  1438 dic 11 19:37 xfce4-session.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   336 dic 12 19:28 xfce4-settings-editor.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei   276 dic 12 19:28 xfce4-settings-manager.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ei ei  4202 dic 11 19:08 xfwm4.xml
ei@boss-Pavilion-ZV6100-EE984EA-ABZ:~$

The graphics driver I want to delete (because I suppose it's damaged) and straight away re-install. is the open source "vesa" (xserver-xorg-video-vesa vers. 1:2.3.3) that is the default driver. The AMD/ATI can't work in Linux. The Package Manager Synaptic is not able to erase the driver, it simply removes the installation, but the driver stays in my PC: so it is re-used (damaged!) when I start the re-installation. Do you know how totally, completely erase the driver? I hope my english is not incomprehensible!
Greetings. wink

Last edited by vonibenz (2014-12-17 12:01:22)

#12 2014-12-17 18:40:59

ToZ
Administrator

vonibenz wrote:

.....the open source "vesa" (xserver-xorg-video-vesa vers. 1:2.3.3) that is the default driver.

This is why your resolution settings are incorrect.

Do you know how totally, completely erase the driver?

Unfortunately, no - I have no experience with ATI drivers. Perhaps it is best to ask for assistance in the UbuntuForums on this matter.

#13 2014-12-17 22:33:07

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

I have no experience with ATI drivers. Perhaps it is best to ask for assistance in the UbuntuForums on this matter.

It is possible (likely?) that someone who knows how to properly install them could assist you in getting them to work on your computer (unless it is very old - I have an old laptop, circa 2002, which will not run the ATI driver).

If/when you find someone who knows them at UbuntuForums (et cetera), feel free to report your results in this thread; perhaps it will help someone else in the future.

Good luck,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer