Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-31 13:45:45

rk4262

Either Duplicate NM icons, or none at all

Hello, my first post here, I'm moving over to Xubuntu (14.04.x) from Zorin, which is a very good OS, and perfect for my wife that has trouble operating the tv remote, but I was rather bored. Now my problem is once I got everything up and running, I noticed that there were two network-manager (I think that's what's used), icons (or plug-ins) in the notification area, since I only have one connection I decided to delete one. I right-clicked, >>move>> and separated them, then deleted one, they both disappeared. So I found the notification icon box, and clicked on add, but there isn't a N-M icon listed there. Could someone tell me where to find this.

I'm probably going to spend a lot of time here, I know just enough to be dangerous, and determined to teach myself all there is to know. I guess I should go ahead and tell you the whole story, about 3 weeks ago I bought a new Dell laptop, unfortunately it has 8.1. Windows 2000, XP, and 7, I was ok with, I actually prefer the way Windows does some things over Linux, my problem is with M$ as a company and their attitude that the customer can't live without them, instead of M$ not able to survive without the customers. Anyway, this same laptop with 7 was almost $100 more than the 8.1 machine, and since I knew I would be using Linux for most things, I went with the cheaper. Then I realized that I've been out of the loop for a little to long, when I started seeing new terms, GPT, UEFI, Secureboot, FastBoot, etc... I did check with Dell twice, the first time I was told that partitioning the HDD and installing Linux would void my warranty, the second time the agent said the first guy was full of "it" and did not know what he was talking about, and gave me a link to the Dell With Linux support page, and forum.

After reading up on things, and the problems some people faced getting Ubuntu (even the UEFI) version to working in a dual-boot environment with 8.1, I decided to go a little different direction. I bought a USB 3.0 external HDD, and installed Xubuntu on the external. If the USB is plugged in when booting, the USB is listed as First boot device so I boot into Linux, if it's not plugged in, it moves down the device list until it gets to the internal HDD, and boots windows. I am planning on doing a symbolic link from the Linux folders (Documents, Pictures etc...) over to the corresponding C: drive, I just haven't gotten there yet.  So that's where I am, I know I have some other questions, but it's too early this morning for me to think about what they are.

Thanks for the help, now and in the future
Robby

#2 2014-12-31 14:18:46

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Either Duplicate NM icons, or none at all

Hello and welcome.

Te fact that you were able to separate the two icons leads me to believe that maybe you have two separate networking applets running, but I'm not sure. The default applet for Xubuntu is "nm-applet". It needs to be running for the icon to appear in the indicator plugin area (Make sure that you have the indicator plugin added to your panel).

To see if nm-applet is running, enter the following command in a terminal window:

ps -ef | grep nm-applet | grep -v grep

...it should return one instance of the applet.

If no instances are returned, try Alt+F2 and start it manually:

nm-applet

If there are two, you will need to kill one instance. You can do this graphically using the "Task Manager" application located in the System menu. You can also do it manually via a terminal window by running:

kill -9 PID_OF_NM_APPLET

...where PID_OF_NM_APPLET is one of the numbers located in the second field from the result above.

If this doesn't solve your issue, a screenshot might help us to better see what you're seeing as well as a listing of the items in your panel configuration.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer