Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-17 23:16:33

Sideburns
Website

[Solved] xfce4-Netload-Plugin problem

I use the plugin in the Subject so that I can see how busy my connection is.  Alas, it's not showing anything any more, and when I check the Properties, the Network Device is blank.  Currently, my distro (Fedora) uses em1 for the first NIC, but when I try that, I just get an error message that it can't initialize the device.  Checking with a backup, I used to use eth1, but that doesn't work either.  Does anybody here know what's going on, or is this distro-specific?

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#2 2015-01-18 01:25:34

ozjd
Website

Re: [Solved] xfce4-Netload-Plugin problem

Are you sure it is em1? On my desktop with Korora 21 (which is Fedora remixed) it uses en6s1f0u3 for the ethernet connection. Right click on the NM icon and select 'Connection Information' will show the connection.

#3 2015-01-18 01:35:50

ToZ
Administrator

I wonder if this has something to do with Predictable Network Interface Names. Apparently, you can disable these by using the biosdevicename=0 kernel parameter.

Maybe worth a test?

If this is the case, you might want to open a bug report for this. There is an existing bug report against predictable interface names, but it seems to focus on the length of the name.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2015-01-18 01:38:29

Sideburns
Website

If I try to edit my Network Connection, it's listed as em1.  However if I right-click on the connection applet and look at the Connection Information, it shows it as p2p1.  Putting that in as the interface worked.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer