Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-01 19:18:39

ts333

[Solved] Running tasks as desktop icons - not far from heaven

I am still using olwm. Why? I will tell you:

In recent window managers you can have desktop icons to represent not-yet-started programms. When you click it, the program gets started. When you iconize a started program (= running task), then you get an entry in the "task bar".

If you have many *different* running tasks, the task bar is fine to use. It gives you a good overview of running programs. However, if you have many tasks of same type - say, 10 internet browser windows and 5 xterms - the task bar does not help you much to de-iconize the one you are looking for.

This is where the olwm comes into play: In olwm the desktop icons do not stand for not-yet-started programms, but for already started running tasks. This gives you the possibility to arrange the icons in some spontaneously choosen order. For example, if I browse for a vacation deal, I can put all browser window icons with vacations for holiday target A in the "first column" to the right, and all browser window icons with vacations for holiday target B in the "2nd column". And inside the "icon columns" I can order it by priority - and change my given priority with a quick and simple drag-and-drop of the icon (after iconizing the window in question).

In combination with my two keyboard shortcuts for bringing windows more to the front/back and for iconizing/deiconizing windows, this is very fast.

Two weeks ago I realized, that this usage is possible with xfwm too. That was great news to me, as I miss some features in good old olwm. But then I saw, that some details in xfwm makes my just described usage scenario not so well usable. Here is the list (actually a list of differences to olwm):

- Icons can not be above windows. So, I cannot reach the icons with my front/back keyboard shortcut if a window is "over" them.
- Icon location may change "silently" if the assigned location becomes used up by another icon.
- New icon location is refused, if it is to close to other icons or windows. No alignment at all would be my preference, so I can add even more "meta data" by diss-aligning the icons a bit.
- A "beam" that visualizes, where a window gets iconized to, would be helpful too.

Do you think you could change these behaviours, or make them configurable?

BTW: I am also using "focus follows mouse". Really great, that xfwm has this option too!!

PS: How did I change to the "desktop items represent running tasks" configuration? I didn't realized the change right away (as a window was over the default icons area), and then I couldn't find the relevant config item again.

Last edited by ts333 (2015-02-01 19:50:03)

#2 2015-02-01 21:16:31

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Running tasks as desktop icons - not far from heaven

ts333 wrote:

Do you think you could change these behaviours, or make them configurable?

I don't believe its possible given the current xfwm4 code. Feel free to create an enhancement request over at bugzilla if you want to pursue this. One thing to consider: xfwm4 is the Xfce window manager. This does not preclude you from using other window managers. I haven't personally used another one, but have read about options such as compiz or kwm in lieu of xfwm4. It might be worth a try to see if one of these window managers might fit the bill for your usage scenario.

PS: How did I change to the "desktop items represent running tasks" configuration? I didn't realized the change right away (as a window was over the default icons area), and then I couldn't find the relevant config item again.

Settings Manager >> Desktop >> Icons >> Icon Type ?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-02-02 16:50:14

sixsixfive
Website

i don't think this possible but there are many ways to switch between windows, here are a tiny list:

for the xfcepanel:
the included window buttons(tasklist) plugin
the included windowlist plugin(a combobox with all windows)
the windowck plugin (same as windowlist) http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- … wck-plugin
the dockbarx plugin (integreates dockbarx into a panel) https://github.com/TiZ-EX1/xfce4-dockbarx-plugin

Note: you can also hide and show any xfce panel with:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-$NUMBER/autohide -T

independent:

replace xfwm with windowmaker for some nextstep like window management http://windowmaker.org
use docky/plank or some other osxlike panel launcher https://launchpad.net/plank - its probably possible to hide and show them with keybord shortcuts

Last edited by sixsixfive (2015-02-02 16:50:41)

#4 2015-02-04 13:15:10

ts333

Thank you both for valuable replies. The list of alternate window switching possibilities is something I should consider. Also I will look at the
windowmaker, thanks again for this hint!

Board footer